PDA

View Full Version : are sub frames the same

macafee2
13th September 2014, 07:44
are the rear sub frames from the 75 range the same?
scrap yard has a Tourer but mines a saloon.
cheers
macafee2

macafee2
13th September 2014, 08:03
a bit of inspiration I looked at Rimmers web site. no they are not the same as they have different part numbers but their site refers to using a common one as an alternative.
what are your thoughts?

macafee2

Steve1966
13th September 2014, 20:25
I did all of the development / testing of the subframes at MGR. I am sure that they are the same. We certainly didn't do any further testing for the introduction of the tourer from what I recall. The differences may be down to the attachments for levelling of the headlights? I'm not familiar with the attachments but I'm sure the basic steel structures are identical.

A point worth remembering is that if a part was improved but was backwards compatible then the last digit went up by 1 ie, KHB000130 became KHB000131. If they were not it would get the next available number in the sequence that ended in 10 (or multiple of). ie it might have become KHB000270. All initial numbers for a design ended in 10 (or multiple of 10).

A good example that I can recall is the hydramount for diesel. The part number is KKB101923. During development it started as KKB101920 and was revised 3 times but all could be interchanged.

I believe the MG subframe has stiffer bushes fitted but again the steel structure is identical.

Steve.