PDA

View Full Version : Any specific 75/ZT detailing questions you were ashamed to ask?

empsburna
26th April 2008, 01:00
As title - if there are any questions you have about a specific problem/area you wish to correct but were too scared to ask then now is the chance!

I will be detailing this weekend and happy to take pics and write a guide of how to sort any specific areas - just shout up!

nisfo
26th April 2008, 02:06
OK I'll start.......

Here we go.....

Whats the easiest and most effective way to get your windows and mirrors sparkling?

I live in a very hard water area, after washing, the whole car is covered in water burns, so I have to wax every time........But I can never shift the burns from the glass without wearing myself out.....:getmecoat:

trebor
26th April 2008, 07:17
stone chips are my bugbear especially as i have a black car.

Applying touch up paint normally leaves a blob and although i can reduce this with my UDM it is not perfect.

I've tried the usual " t cut " type stuff that is the same colour as the car but no use.

So my question is what advice does a detailer give a customer about stone chips and is there anything on the market that is effective to cover these up ?

empsburna
26th April 2008, 12:16
OK I'll start.......

Here we go.....

Whats the easiest and most effective way to get your windows and mirrors sparkling?

I live in a very hard water area, after washing, the whole car is covered in water burns, so I have to wax every time........But I can never shift the burns from the glass without wearing myself out.....:getmecoat:

Glass cleaner with a high alcohol content will help to shift those streaks - my fave (which I have run out of and can't find is by Rain-X - its a foaming cleaner that shifts anything)

Failing that some vinegar on a newspaper still works - but might not be easier to do anyway!

stone chips are my bugbear especially as i have a black car.

Applying touch up paint normally leaves a blob and although i can reduce this with my UDM it is not perfect.

I've tried the usual " t cut " type stuff that is the same colour as the car but no use.

So my question is what advice does a detailer give a customer about stone chips and is there anything on the market that is effective to cover these up ?

Good question - i'l put together a mini how to guide in the next few days to show you how to do them.

Tatts
26th April 2008, 12:38
Bugs. Whats the best/easiest way to remove squashed bugs etc now the weather is starting to warm up?

Are these bug removal sprays any good? Will they strip wax off the bodywork? I've got a snow foam attachment for the Karcher, will that help?

trebor
26th April 2008, 14:59
Glass cleaner with a high alcohol content will help to shift those streaks - my fave (which I have run out of and can't find is by Rain-X - its a foaming cleaner that shifts anything)

Failing that some vinegar on a newspaper still works - but might not be easier to do anyway!

Good question - i'l put together a mini how to guide in the next few days to show you how to do them.

Thanks Paul, will look forward to the " how to "

STUBIE
26th April 2008, 15:33
emps

I have just acquired a PC 7224, I want to use it before the meet next weekend and was thinking of going using Pinnacle XMT 360 which is an all in one cleaner/polisher/sealer.. have you used it and if not any other alternatives.

Also any tips on using the PC I take it its okay to us on repaired surface as the door on my 75 was resprayed after nogs head broke into it. It was a couple of years ago and before my ownership and I have no probs with paint work..

Stubs

empsburna
26th April 2008, 17:00
Bugs. Whats the best/easiest way to remove squashed bugs etc now the weather is starting to warm up?

Are these bug removal sprays any good? Will they strip wax off the bodywork? I've got a snow foam attachment for the Karcher, will that help?

Chemical Guys Bug Wash through the Karcher will be perfect - spray on, leave it on while you clean the wheels and come back and wash off before washing the rest of the car.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-amp-drying/chemical-guys-strong-wash-bug-******-/prod_183.html

emps

I have just acquired a PC 7224, I want to use it before the meet next weekend and was thinking of going using Pinnacle XMT 360 which is an all in one cleaner/polisher/sealer.. have you used it and if not any other alternatives.

Also any tips on using the PC I take it its okay to us on repaired surface as the door on my 75 was resprayed after nogs head broke into it. It was a couple of years ago and before my ownership and I have no probs with paint work..

Stubs

I've only seen picutres after using Pinnacle 360 - and it does an excellent job - I would try a product from Chemical Guys - its an all in one polish and silicone free.

Top that off with a good wax and it will be fine.

the PC will be OK on freshly painted surface (as long as it has had a few months for the paint to go fully off)

as long as the work was to a high standard there should be plenty of clearcoat to work with - if in doubt a local friendly bodyshop should have a paint thickness gauge, ask them to quickly check the car over for high/low spots in the paint.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/chemical-guys-all-in-one-polish/prod_166.html

Greeners
26th April 2008, 17:22
Ok Paul

I've got a pretty good regeime for my X-Power Grey ZT.

2 buckets and Megs Gold class wash then dry with a Simoniz towel.

The car needs claying, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

After that I get lost in the choice of waxes, glazes polishes and so on.......

Could you give me a pointer or two please.

Cheers

Kandyman
26th April 2008, 18:30
Whats the best way to clean the black parts on the outside of the car like the door pillars and the scuttle and plenum covers.

Greeners
26th April 2008, 19:14
Whats the best way to clean the black parts on the outside of the car like the door pillars and the scuttle and plenum covers.

I can answer this one, as I've just done mine.....

Megs Trim Detailer........It turned the grey scutle panel back to black, and covered all the marks on the door trims too....

brum29
27th April 2008, 07:12
Hi to all, I'm a newbie and the answer is probably somewhere in the massive amounts of help you have on this site but some brain dead numptie has gone down both sides and rear of my beautiful Wedgewood Blue Tourer and put some not so lovely wavy lines.

Have tried T-Cut but not to good at slightly deeper marks, so I'm asking for any help with something else that would restore it back .

Thanks KB

JohnDotCom
27th April 2008, 09:12
What gets off the Awful, Aviation Fuel Exhaust from Aircraft easily.
Sometimes my car is like a Sooted Chimney?

....and don't suggest not parking behind them! :p:

trebor
27th April 2008, 10:25
Hi to all, I'm a newbie and the answer is probably somewhere in the massive amounts of help you have on this site but some brain dead numptie has gone down both sides and rear of my beautiful Wedgewood Blue Tourer and put some not so lovely wavy lines.

Have tried T-Cut but not to good at slightly deeper marks, so I'm asking for any help with something else that would restore it back .

Thanks KB

It depends how deep the scratches are, if they are just in the clearcoat a detailing machine should polish them out with some cutting polish, but if they are down to the metal then as far as i know there is no proper way of doing it other than respraying the panels.

Our resident detailer Paul will no doubt be along to give his advice soon.

Have you considered claiming on your Insurance, depends on losing your NCD, but you may have it protected.

If scratches are only light, i have a detailing machine and you are local to me so i would be happy to help you if i can.

brum29
27th April 2008, 11:29
Thanks Trebor, but here we go again, what's a detailing machine ( told I was thick). In places scratch does go through the clear coat but not down to the metal, have seen stuff advertised that said to slightly dissolve the paint and blend it all together then goes back to normal state when finished, anyone tried that? Don't know whether to trust it as it's quite exspensive and may not necessary work. As I said T-cut got the very slight ones out but did not make any impression on the more deeper ones. Cheers KB

trebor
27th April 2008, 13:08
Thanks Trebor, but here we go again, what's a detailing machine ( told I was thick). In places scratch does go through the clear coat but not down to the metal, have seen stuff advertised that said to slightly dissolve the paint and blend it all together then goes back to normal state when finished, anyone tried that? Don't know whether to trust it as it's quite exspensive and may not necessary work. As I said T-cut got the very slight ones out but did not make any impression on the more deeper ones. Cheers KB

Not sure what you are referring to above but my advice is dont try it unless you have more information - can you tell us what the product is or post a link to the webpage so we can take a look ?

A detailing machine is a car polisher but a professional one, which is not to be confused with the cheaper variety that you see in Argos etc which are probably ok for applying wax but the detailing machine has the capacity to eliminates swirl marks and light scratches.

empsburna
28th April 2008, 21:52
Ok Paul

I've got a pretty good regeime for my X-Power Grey ZT.

2 buckets and Megs Gold class wash then dry with a Simoniz towel.

The car needs claying, but I'm not sure which one to go for.

After that I get lost in the choice of waxes, glazes polishes and so on.......

Could you give me a pointer or two please.

Cheers

I would try with a lighter clay first - Sonus Green is always my choice first - and then move up to something more aggresive like the sonus grey. if you do need to use the aggressive clay use plenty of lube or you may lightly mar the surface of the paint - always worth a polish afterwards!

The product choice depends on a lot of things, car colour, the amount of mileage you do (and if it is muddy B roads or Motorway spray) - most of all your budget!

I can answer this one, as I've just done mine.....

Megs Trim Detailer........It turned the grey scutle panel back to black, and covered all the marks on the door trims too....

Yeah, give them a wipe over with megs trim detailer - I use the sonus stuff - but it is all much of muchness :)

What gets off the Awful, Aviation Fuel Exhaust from Aircraft easily.
Sometimes my car is like a Sooted Chimney?

....and don't suggest not parking behind them! :p:

A strong traffic film remover will shift it to start with - along with a good clay - try some collinite and watch it fall off when wet ;)

Lates
28th April 2008, 22:52
Dear uncle emps.
How can i can tee tee clean without setting up a direct debit to have "him" cleaned once a month by yourself :) Remember I am not overly gifted with lots of spare time

kevin
29th April 2008, 07:31
Dear uncle emps.
How can i can tee tee clean without setting up a direct debit to have "him" cleaned once a month by yourself :) Remember I am not overly gifted with lots of spare time

when some one turns up with a nice clean car, tell them as you are going to have they car running great, they can clean your car.

empsburna
29th April 2008, 08:31
Dear uncle emps.
shampoo - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-amp-drying/chemical-guys-citrus-wash-gloss/prod_345.html

wash mitt - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-amp-drying/wash-shmitt-white/yellow/prod_302.html

drying towel - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/sonus-ultimate-detailing-towels-pkg/2/prod_185.html

Lates
29th April 2008, 22:04
The lad is good, credit where its due bang on the button !

empsburna
3rd May 2008, 00:16

Thanks KB
just spotted how close you were - if you need a hand or if i can help get rid of the scratches let me know, i'l try and get them out for a bacon sarnie and a strong coffee! :)

lee79
3rd May 2008, 12:49
the interior.....

most dash cleaners leave a film on after, even when buffed. which is best.

also the carpets need cleaning, i dont have a wash/dry hoover what do you say would be the best method to clean them and which cleaner so it doesnt stay damp.

last one.........treating the leather seats, when and what to preserve them?

regards

lee

empsburna
4th May 2008, 17:42
1) dont bother with a dash cleaner - unless it is stained wipe it over with a damp cloth - if dirty a weak solution of all purpose cleaner or a weak solution of stardrops to clean it.

2) All purpose cleaner (flash/meguirs/W5 from Lidl) - a weak solution, a brush and some effort, wiped over with a damp microfibre and then left to air dry for an hour will get them clean again.

3) any good leather conditioner (although the jury is out for me again on gliptone it is still what I would use)