PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning engine bay

stevemac
30th April 2008, 14:23
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to clean an engine bay? Although I have not had any coolant leak since the second HG change, there is still a strong smell of hot engine/coolant even on short journeys. This could be something I just need to get used to, but an engine clean might sort it out. Is steam cleaning the way to go. Is it safe on the electrics? As I don't have a cleaner, I would probably look towards someone else doing it.
Thanks

Pete
30th April 2008, 15:11
You may find quite a few people will state they'll do it at your own risk in case of damage to electrical components. If you're getting odours then how about only having it done around the radiator and lower half of the block to help shift the worst of the crud?

The other thing about steam cleaning is that any rust prevention chemicals can potentially be washed off, so a good session with some waxoyl is advisable.

nairda
30th April 2008, 15:11
I second that, a 'How-to' would be great too. Having just this morning taken delivery of a very whizzy looking Karcher steam cleaner any advice on interior/engine bay cleaning would be most welcome.

Pete
30th April 2008, 15:35
We need a guinea pig car! :D

I know there's been some comments here and there within the forum on using presure washers and steam cleaners. I suppose this is a mix of common sense and having a trawl to drag it all together into a How-To.

deano78
30th April 2008, 18:43
the way i do it is to cover all electrics with sandwich bags, and use something like gunk or even meguiars all purpose cleaner. agitate with a brush and rinse off with an open hose. you could use a pressure washer but i dont risk it myself.

Greeners
30th April 2008, 18:44
I personally wouldn't put a steam cleaner anywhere near the under bonnet of a modern car.

What I do, is use is either APC (all purpose cleaner) or if it's very bad Gunk and a variety of brushes. Then rinse

Don't squirt water directly at anything electrical, and to be safe, wrap it in cling film.

I then use an old wash mit and shampoo to get rid of any residue, and then gently spray with water to remove any remaining suds.

Finally start the engine and use an old towle to dry.

Any plastic then gets a coat of Megs Detailer spray

nairda
30th April 2008, 21:25
That all makes sense to be honest, water + electrics = bad times. With that in mind, I'll stick to using the cleaner on the carpets and interior surfaces.

The Yellow Peril
1st May 2008, 11:02
I wish I'd read this thread before I let a valet company steam clean Primroses' engine bay on Tuesday in readiness for the Weekend.

I haven't started her up yet either, as she's under cover until the rain stops

Hope things are ok

See some of you on Saturday/Sunday - hopefully

Andrew