PDA

View Full Version : Another diesel non starter

RichB
8th November 2014, 16:13
Hi folks, Ive already posted this on the Facebook help group so apologies if you you've already seen this. My car is a 2003 ZT-T cdti . I drove about 200miles yesterday without issue, then this morning, the car really struggled to fire. It eventually did and then seemed fine for about 4 miles until it just lost power and cut out on a duel carriage way. It briefly fired back up but had no power and then cut out again. No fault lights came on, but the low fuel warning light came on about 20 miles from home last night. First thing I did was put 5 L of diesel from a can in but it made no difference.

Called AA and some alternative recovery service finally arrive an hour and a half later. First they checked the diagnostics and there were no fault codes. He then loosened one of the metal fuel pipes and cranked it and said there was no fuel pressure. He also pulled the outlet hose from the under bonnet pump ( I think that's what it is, right of engine next to battery box). He again cranked it and said no fuel pressure.

Since then I've added another 25L of diesel so well over 1/2 tank and still no joy starting. I can't hear the in tank pump running but can hear/feel the under bonnet pump. I thought you could run with ubp only if you had over 1/4 tank of fuel. But now I'm advised the ubp may have been weakened by the itp not running.

So my predicament is I'm in Teesside, 160 miles from home, and I need to find both pumps on a Saturday night/Sunday! Any recommendations? Or suggestions on what else to check in case the problem lies elsewhere?

Cheers,
Rich

LotusLC
8th November 2014, 18:03
Hi Rich,

I have both these pumps but the in tank one is still fitted , but guess i could get it out in the morning.

Only trouble is i am in York so a wee bit away from you.

marinabrian
8th November 2014, 18:22
Hi folks, Ive already posted this on the Facebook help group so apologies if you you've already seen this. My car is a 2003 ZT-T cdti . I drove about 200miles yesterday without issue, then this morning, the car really struggled to fire. It eventually did and then seemed fine for about 4 miles until it just lost power and cut out on a duel carriage way. It briefly fired back up but had no power and then cut out again. No fault lights came on, but the low fuel warning light came on about 20 miles from home last night. First thing I did was put 5 L of diesel from a can in but it made no difference.

Called AA and some alternative recovery service finally arrive an hour and a half later. First they checked the diagnostics and there were no fault codes. He then loosened one of the metal fuel pipes and cranked it and said there was no fuel pressure. He also pulled the outlet hose from the under bonnet pump ( I think that's what it is, right of engine next to battery box). He again cranked it and said no fuel pressure.

Since then I've added another 25L of diesel so well over 1/2 tank and still no joy starting. I can't hear the in tank pump running but can hear/feel the under bonnet pump. I thought you could run with ubp only if you had over 1/4 tank of fuel. But now I'm advised the ubp may have been weakened by the itp not running.

So my predicament is I'm in Teesside, 160 miles from home, and I need to find both pumps on a Saturday night/Sunday! Any recommendations? Or suggestions on what else to check in case the problem lies elsewhere?

Cheers,
Rich

Do you want to PM me a telephone number, I may be able to assist ;)

Brian :D

RichB
9th November 2014, 16:04
Thanks for for the offer lotuslc, but MarinaBrian offered to assist with the problems and came round this afternoon. His T4 computer showed the under bonnet pump was flakey and he luckily brought a used one with him to swap out and get me mobile again until I buy a new one. It also identified an out of spec maf. Whilst he was here I got a second key programmed that I've been meaning to do for 2 years and I also got a 160 remap and a few dealer options programmed at the same time. I can't thank Brian enough for driving 60 miles each way on a Sunday to sort me out, absolutely fantastic service! I haven't tried the 160 remap yet but I'm certainly a very happy boy right now :)

Cheers,
Rich

trikey
9th November 2014, 16:06
Thanks for for the offer lotuslc, but MarinaBrian offered to assist with the problems and came round this afternoon. His T4 computer showed the under bonnet pump was flakey and he luckily brought a used one with him to swap out and get me mobile again until I buy a new one. It also identified an out of spec maf. Whilst he was here I got a second key programmed that I've been meaning to do for 2 years and I also got a 160 remap and a few dealer options programmed at the same time. I can't thank Brian enough for driving 60 miles each way on a Sunday to sort me out, absolutely fantastic service! I haven't tried the 160 remap yet but I'm certainly a very happy boy right now :)

Cheers,
Rich

He's a good lad isn't he :bowdown:

LotusLC
9th November 2014, 16:36
Thanks for for the offer lotuslc, but MarinaBrian offered to assist with the problems and came round this afternoon.

Glad you got it sorted.

I certainly could not have done all those things MarinaBrian has done for you lol

marinabrian
9th November 2014, 17:34
Nice meeting you Rich, Molly was very interested in the "new dog" smell when I got in this evening.

Hopefully the secondhand UBP will take you home OK, here are the links I promised you.....

Underbonnet pump (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170955313703?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

MAF sensor (http://www.maf-shop.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&language=en&info=p57_BOSCH-Luftmassenmesser-fuer-BMW-0280217533-13621433566.html)

All the best

Arctic
10th November 2014, 00:15
Do you want to PM me a telephone number, I may be able to assist ;)

Nice meeting you Rich, Molly was very interested in the "new dog" smell when I got in this evening.

Hopefully the secondhand UBP will take you home OK, here are the links I promised you.....

Underbonnet pump (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170955313703?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

MAF sensor (http://www.maf-shop.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&language=en&info=p57_BOSCH-Luftmassenmesser-fuer-BMW-0280217533-13621433566.html)

All the best

Excellent work great when you read something like this, makes sense why the club is so good when you have members like the above well done Brian :bowdown:

Stickman
10th November 2014, 05:30
What a star Brian is :bowdown:
We'd all be worse off without him
Well done that man
Regards
Chris