PDA

View Full Version : Tracking question

Robbie Sadr
19th November 2014, 09:49
Guys, I had laser tracking on my tourer carried out yesterday and the print out of the results concern me, especially on the left rear camber as this seems to be outside the tolerances shown.

I have attached the print-out for clarity.

Can anyone help by running their over the figures and say whether I should be concerned?

Cheers

Robbie:cool:

T-Cut
19th November 2014, 10:43
Only front and rear toe are adjustable, so camber errors are due to wear in the suspension system, such as rubber bushes. Any joint slackness should be spotted by the operator anyway, as it would make accurate tracking impossible.

Looking at the figures on the printout, several don't tally with the specification quoted by MGR. If you compare it with the following table, there are inconsistencies.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Suspension_Stuff/Wheel_Alignment_Data.jpg

It may not matter if the printout spec falls within the MGR spec, but I spotted one or two that are outside the MGR range. Having said that I suspect a significant proportion of commercial trackers use specs that differ from the MGR ones.

TC

bubs
19th November 2014, 13:04
Does the tourer have to have a full tank, like they recommend on the saloon, when getting tracking done?

steve1
19th November 2014, 14:49
Full tank?:shrug:????? I would have to remortgage for that!!

T-Cut
19th November 2014, 14:53
The MGR specification requires the wheel geometry to be set with the car at its normal kerb weight. The 'normal' kerb weight is defined as the unoccupied car with a half full tank. Altering the vertical loading doesn't affect the front wheel toe setting but apparently will have an effect on other variables at the rear.

I doubt one rear wheel's camber error is due to this

TC

Robbie Sadr
19th November 2014, 17:36
Hi T-Cut,

Thanks for your detailed response and apologies for being slow to respond.

I have spoken with the people that carried the laser tracking and their system is a Hunter, calibrated two hours before my car was on the ramp, allegedly.

I was told that they load the car reg. type etc and the data base throws up the settings they should work from.

When I mentioned that their data seemed to be at odds with the MGR specification they said they had no other reference to work with, which I felt was a reasonable response.

They also agreed with your point regarding the camber but could offer no suggestions to set the car within the specification limits.

On this basis time will tell whether the settings will cause tyre wear problems although I have achieved 50K plus on rear tyres before.

Once again thanks for your support, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Robbie