PDA

View Full Version : Leaking washer bottle

Gman2
19th November 2014, 19:31
As it says in the title really - drains out almost as soon as I fill it up. Where is the likely culprit? Is it a repair job or am I better off getting one off ebay and fitting it myself? I assume this is a bumper off job ? :(

Cheers peeps.

whitevanman
19th November 2014, 19:38
Bumper off job to see what you are doing, it'll probs be one of the 2 (if you have headlight washers) pumps coming adrift as they are only a push in jobbie or the seal they push into has died a death..

Wash it all out while you are there, you wouldn't believe the cack that lives in the bottom 2" of the tank (below the pump) ours was like sewage water, totally gross..

Gman2
19th November 2014, 19:41
Cheers WVM. So if it's just a case of coming adrift they push back easily but if the seal's kaput then it's a new bottle?

fraz59
19th November 2014, 19:47
when I got my car it did the same, found out the "o" ring was split on headlight washer pump. New "o" ring and all good

sorry forget what size it was as have a pack of them so just found one that was a close match to old one

whitevanman
19th November 2014, 19:59
Cheers WVM. So if it's just a case of coming adrift they push back easily but if the seal's kaput then it's a new bottle?

Nope just a simple rubber bung, this is a normal washer bottle, With headlamp wash has two pumps but fitment is the same..

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/tl1000ssteve/washerbottle_zpsfd1e2fd9.gif (http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/tl1000ssteve/media/washerbottle_zpsfd1e2fd9.gif.html)

Just over £11 from rimmers, probs cheaper to get the whole lot from a breakers tbh..or try sealant around it, If this is the cause..

mick160
19th November 2014, 20:05
I had the same problem a few months ago.

In my case the pump itself was leaking and a new pump cured it. Was about 15 quid from the evil bay.

Gman2
19th November 2014, 20:19
I don't have headlight washers so could be the pump then? I should be able to confirm this by taking the wheel off then checking through the inspection hatch? If it is then am I correct in thinking the pump can be replaced without taking the bumper off?

john2443
20th November 2014, 11:25
Yes you can get to it though inspection hatch, a bit tight 'specially if you have big hand but I took my pump out, cleaned the filter and put it back without taking the bumper off.