PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fault

burn5ie
20th November 2014, 14:56
Hope someone can help, I don't know much about diesels. Give me a petrol engine and carbs and I'm fine!!
My car 75 CDT tourer has started to cut out on me at random times, usually when I dip the clutch to change down a gear. Also, it has trouble starting if left for a few minutes after a drive, ie; if I stop to pick up a newspaper, it takes ages to fire up. Occasionally, I also get a very 'lumpy' tickover, sometimes so bad it makes the whole car rock!!
If anyone can give me some pointers as to where to start looking, I would really appreciate it.

Regards, burn5ie

FrenchMike
20th November 2014, 15:01
Hope someone can help, I don't know much about diesels. Give me a petrol engine and carbs and I'm fine!!
My car 75 CDT tourer has started to cut out on me at random times, usually when I dip the clutch to change down a gear. Also, it has trouble starting if left for a few minutes after a drive, ie; if I stop to pick up a newspaper, it takes ages to fire up. Occasionally, I also get a very 'lumpy' tickover, sometimes so bad it makes the whole car rock!!
If anyone can give me some pointers as to where to start looking, I would really appreciate it.

Regards, burn5ie

probably a faulty injector ;carry out a leakback test ...

Kiltman
20th November 2014, 15:03
probably a faulty injector ;carry out a leakback test ...

Almost certainly correct!

burn5ie
20th November 2014, 17:07
Thanks guys, helps a lot. Will have a look over the weekend.

DMGRS
20th November 2014, 21:04
I had similar, and it was indeed a very leaky injector. The problem seems less prominent on a cold engine, but when warm it leaked a lot, causing loss of pressure when cranking and thus difficult starting.

burn5ie
21st November 2014, 06:06
Yes, that's just the symptoms I have, worse when hot than cold. Feels a lot like fuel starvation, so all the above advice seems to point to a faulty injector.
Thanks for the reply.

Stickman
21st November 2014, 06:14
Almost certainly correct!

I'd say the same - I had a similar scenario with my tourer and took it to shiner for a t4 session which confirmed one injector was indeed faulty :eek:
Resolved easily,cheaply and quick by shiner with a secondhand item :D
Regards
Chris

Mdan
21st November 2014, 18:50
When did u last change fuel filter

burn5ie
22nd November 2014, 07:27
When did u last change fuel filter
That was one of the things I thought about as I bought the car a year ago and didn't know when it was last changed. I had a spare filter in my garage, so it got changed when I did a service earlier this year.
Thanks for the reply.