PDA

View Full Version : VVC IMG Failure

suzublu
21st November 2014, 13:54
Has anyone had an alloy inlet manifold gasket failure :shrug: Reason being, i've been losing a little coolant over the last couple of weeks, for the first time since fitting it (over 2 years) Starting from cold I get the classic symptom of rough running for a couple of seconds, then it clears & everything is fine :shrug: Is it worth fitting another gasket, or could there be something else:o As always, thanks for any help :bowdown::}

suzublu
21st November 2014, 18:38
Guess it's quite rare then:shrug::D

stocktake
21st November 2014, 19:29
Well is sounds like one of two things and you have changed the parts to alleviate one of the problems:(. Next would be a sniffer test and compression test...........

suzublu
21st November 2014, 19:41
Ah, so I need to let a dog run around under the bonnet Dave:shrug: Sorry mate,:o:D Thanks, will do;)

mick160
21st November 2014, 20:37
I don't think the img for the vvc manifold is infallible. I recently noticed a very slight whistling noise in the engine bay and I think it's an air leak on the img. Got a replacement img ordered.

It'd be worth changing the gasket anyway as it's not too much of a job and seeing if it sorts out your problem. :}

suzublu
21st November 2014, 21:06
I don't think the img for the vvc manifold is infallible. I recently noticed a very slight whistling noise in the engine bay and I think it's an air leak on the img. Got a replacement img ordered.

It'd be worth changing the gasket anyway as it's not too much of a job and seeing if it sorts out your problem. :}

Thanks Mick, when i got it fitted, it was at the same time as the Eibach springs were done by Dave, so I don't know the integrity of the gasket:shrug: I think i'll just fit a vvc gasket anyway as you suggest & take it from there;) Question while i;ve got your attention, the gasket, is it the vvc one or the normal K series viton one:shrug:

The Mighty Quinn
21st November 2014, 21:16
I'm pretty sure it's this one Ronnie for the alloy inlet manifolds..

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ100821?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CPL4qvvbjMICFczMtAodFFwA0w

But I think they can be gotten cheaper elsewhere (auction sites).

Btw, I have not had any issues with the alloy manifold as yet, but it's only in a short time. I do however have very slight coolant loss over a prolonged period - not from the IMG, not from any visible hoses, so I expect its from the water pump area, but it has been like this for as long as I can remember and has never gotten any worse - and with 70,000 miles done, I'm not overly concerned about it :)

suzublu
21st November 2014, 21:20
I'm pretty sure it's this one Ronnie for the alloy inlet manifolds..

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ100821?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CPL4qvvbjMICFczMtAodFFwA0w

But I think they can be gotten cheaper elsewhere (auction sites).

Thanks Karl, pretty much what I had in mind:bowdown: Think I'll just order one & bang it on;):cool: See what happens:o

DMGRS
21st November 2014, 22:06
I've not heard of a VVC inlet gasket failing yet, but your symptoms are exactly what I'd expect from one that has. :o
At least it's a nice easy job, if it stops raining!

NickAX54
21st November 2014, 22:13
I did have a IMG failure on my vvc but I then discovered that the support bracket lower bolt was missing. Mine does live at 7000 revs quite often so was happy it was just the gasket. :duh:

marinabrian
21st November 2014, 22:14
Ronnie, I've a couple of VVC manifold gaskets you can have, no need to order, in stock ;)

Brian :D