PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Pump silence is not golden

SeanGilbert
22nd November 2014, 14:25
2002 Diesel Manual

My Diesel will not start as I have no noise from either the under bonnet pump or the in tank pump ( I have removed the in tank pump and it does work ok). Help where do I look next?

Mike Noc
22nd November 2014, 15:26
Does the oil warning light come on with key to position II, and have you checked that the plenum is dry and the drains are clear?

SeanGilbert
22nd November 2014, 15:33
Yes the plenum is dry and drains were cleared, and yes the oil light does also come on, but I have just read about opening and closing doors with other weird noises from under the bonnet, I definitely have that though.

:getmecoat:

FrenchMike
22nd November 2014, 15:38
Does the oil warning light come on with key to position II, and have you checked that the plenum is dry and the drains are clear?

Hi Mike ,

So ,an absence of oïl warning light is another sign of flooded ECU ?

Mike

SeanGilbert
22nd November 2014, 15:42
Sorry miss read you earlier message The oil light only comes on in position three when all the other lights are on, It does not come on prior to that.:duh:

Greeners
22nd November 2014, 15:47
noises from opening the door are usually associsated with the fuel burning heater, It lives in the space between battery and fuse box, Normal problem is a flat battery. You can unplug it if you are in any doubt.

Check you've got more then 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

If the under bonnet pump doesn't run try a gently tapping it to coax it into life.

There's a link below that may help.

SeanGilbert
22nd November 2014, 16:05
Yes I will disconnect the FBH, as I have experienced a flat battery, It is currently on charge, but still no fuel pump noise!:eek: The fuel gauge is showing 1/4 of a tank. Tapping the pump makes no difference, I have put a bulb across the plug to the UBF and it did not light up at all.

SeanGilbert
22nd November 2014, 16:34
Could I simply connect 12 volts across the under bonnet pump to see if it operates ok ?

marinabrian
22nd November 2014, 16:41
Could I simply connect 12 volts across the under bonnet pump to see if it operates ok ?

Yes you can, however failure of both pumps is usually ECM related I'm afraid :(

Your car will be fitted with an NNN100692 (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NNN100692sr) and I have these in stock at a realistic price.
It may be possible to repair your existing unit at a cheaper rate too ;)

Brian :D

Mike Noc
22nd November 2014, 20:01
Hi Mike ,

So ,an absence of oïl warning light is another sign of flooded ECU ?

Mike

Yes Mike - Brian explained that the CAN-bus controller can fail if the ECM is damaged by flooding and then the oil light doesn't come on.

He certainly knows his stuff. ;) :bowdown:

FrenchMike
22nd November 2014, 20:29
Yes Mike - Brian explained that the CAN-bus controller can fail if the ECM is damaged by flooding and then the oil light doesn't come on.

He certainly knows his stuff. ;) :bowdown:

Thanks,i'll keep in memory :}

SeanGilbert
23rd November 2014, 11:08
I have now checked the under bonnet filter with 12 volts live and it buzzed into life immediately, just like the tank pump did. I have also removed the ECU, and the lower bolts that secure it closed are slightly corroded from damp, so as told it looks like the ecu is shot, that's not good:shrug:. So I am not going to repair the car, I have placed the car on Ebay item number 271680771309 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271680771309?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649) for sale as a complete car at £425 or spares.

marinabrian
23rd November 2014, 11:18
I have now checked the under bonnet filter with 12 volts live and it buzzed into life immediately, just like the tank pump did. I have also removed the ECU, and the lower bolts that secure it closed are slightly corroded from damp, so as told it looks like the ecu is shot, that's not good:shrug:. So I am not going to repair the car, I have placed the car on Ebay item number 271680771309 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271680771309?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649) for sale as a complete car at £425 or spares.

I've sent you a PM Sean, trust me it's not worth chucking a good car away for the want of a little of the Magic Wand treatment ;)

Brian :D

DMGRS
23rd November 2014, 17:04
As above - definitely getting worth repaired. Brian can sort it at a very good price. :)