PDA

View Full Version : K series stalling when cold.

pletevl
22nd November 2014, 16:29
Hi all,

Sorry about this not being 75 or ZT related but it is K series related.

I have a TF that on cold mornings stalls at every junction when I dip the clutch until warmed up, the exhaust smells like it's burning rich.
Tickover is around 1200 rpm for a bout 30 seconds then it drops to 900 and it really is like an old manual choke that is still on.
I thought the black water temperature sensor might be dodgy so changed it but it made no difference at all.
After 10 minutes it's fine, runs perfectly.
It doesn't do it in the summer, only when cold out. It's started last winter.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

Pete

roverbarmy
22nd November 2014, 18:14
TF's have been known to have water ingress onto the high tension leads (rain or just damp weather). Try some WD40 over the leads. Loss of sparks = misfire = fuelly smell.

You could also try a stepper motor reset. Switch on without starting engine. Press accelerator pedal to floor and release 5 times. Switch off. Then restart as normal.
Mike

rich17865
22nd November 2014, 21:02
Throttle stop position may need setting with T4?

pletevl
22nd November 2014, 21:49
TF's have been known to have water ingress onto the high tension leads (rain or just damp weather). Try some WD40 over the leads. Loss of sparks = misfire = fuelly smell.

You could also try a stepper motor reset. Switch on without starting engine. Press accelerator pedal to floor and release 5 times. Switch off. Then restart as normal.
Mike

Tried the stepper reset, still the same.
It's not misfiring though, it's lumpy because of a rich mixture but it's not misfiring.
And it only does it on a cold day. It's fine in the spring and summer etc.

pletevl
22nd November 2014, 21:50
Throttle stop position may need setting with T4?

I've had the car from new and this has never been touched.

dqr22d
23rd November 2014, 12:59
Hi all,

Sorry about this not being 75 or ZT related but it is K series related.

I have a TF that on cold mornings stalls at every junction when I dip the clutch until warmed up, the exhaust smells like it's burning rich.
Tickover is around 1200 rpm for a bout 30 seconds then it drops to 900 and it really is like an old manual choke that is still on.
I thought the black water temperature sensor might be dodgy so changed it but it made no difference at all.
After 10 minutes it's fine, runs perfectly.
It doesn't do it in the summer, only when cold out. It's started last winter.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

Pete

Is it serviced regularly? Could be starved of air flow on start up? May be worth checking all the sensors working correctly on the inlet manifold side/throttle body etc. Also try cleaning the throttle body butterfly by taking off the air intake pipe and spray with a good surface cleaner like carberettor cleaning spray. Could some deposit build up especially if you have an induction kit like K&N57i ?

Just a thought and some things to try before garages get involved.