PDA

View Full Version : 'gurgling' in cabin

SirRustalot
22nd November 2014, 22:08
Took my ZT-T for a quick spin around the block today and the cabin heat is non-existent. Also, there's a watery, gurgling sound from under the dash.

Am I right in thinking there's an air lock there somewhere? I changed the coolant recently and bled it as per known instructions.

Temp gauge stays at mid position.

klarzy
22nd November 2014, 22:16
Took my ZT-T for a quick spin around the block today and the cabin heat is non-existent. Also, there's a watery, gurgling sound from under the dash.

Am I right in thinking there's an air lock there somewhere? I changed the coolant recently and bled it as per known instructions.

Temp gauge stays at mid position.

Sounds like an airlock or poss blocked heater matrix

clf
22nd November 2014, 23:05
Sounds like an airlock or poss blocked heater matrix

agreed.

I would suggest a little of both. Does it gurgle when revved? The water pump, pushing the coolant through, past a slight blockage, which creates a temporary air lock. If it is, it obviously is the time to flush it, before it becomes completely blocked.

SirRustalot
23rd November 2014, 08:46
Thanks fellas. If it is blocked, what's the best way to flush it? Can I assume it's blocked with debris from over the years or maybe calcified?

Astraeus
23rd November 2014, 08:57
Thanks fellas. If it is blocked, what's the best way to flush it? Can I assume it's blocked with debris from over the years or maybe calcified?

Hi

If it was providing heat before the coolant change and is now gurgling it is almost certainly an airlock. Make sure you have bled the system properly as per Rover instructions. You often need to bleed and re bleed a few times. Taking car for a drive around where you live in between. Round a few corners etc. sounds daft but it cleared the lock in my old 1.8 quite easily.
Taking the matrix out and flushing it is a nightmare as it is often difficult to get the pipe joins to seal properly again! ( speaks the voice of bitter experience! :duh:) you can flush it with a hose by disconnecting the rubber pipes engine side of bulkhead but try bleeding it properly first.
Chris

SD1too
23rd November 2014, 09:10
I changed the coolant recently and bled it as per known instructions.
Here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1547805&postcount=15) is the official procedure for your V6 engine. Specifically did you:

Drain the coolant fully using the cylinder block plug?
Raise the expansion tank during filling?
Run the engine with the bleed screw removed (not MGR's procedure)?

Simon