PDA

View Full Version : Even more girls..........

FROGGY
23rd November 2014, 16:12
So, now that you're reading this ;)

.......thought it might be better off here.
To repeat:

Following the grand tyre move-around, the good news is that what sounded like at least three wheel bearings giving up the ghost has gone.
So has the syncopated droning noise, so good result.

Not so good result, the steering wheel is now sitting offset; it's about 5° left of centre. I have a Gunson Tracky thingy, so will try the car on there, but can't think why just changing the tyres should make a difference.

Any ideas folks?

Mick

T-Cut
23rd November 2014, 18:01
Interesting result. The Gunson TrakRite tests may shed some light, so please do post your findings.

TC

LeRich
23rd November 2014, 18:24
Are all the tyres the same size?

Polly
23rd November 2014, 20:18
Or perhaps just different makes of tyre on the same axle.

ROBBIE G
23rd November 2014, 20:28
only thing that I can think of is either tyre pressures or difference in tread to send the tracking out by that much.

FROGGY
23rd November 2014, 21:19
Interesting result. The Gunson TrakRite tests may shed some light, so please do post your findings.

TC

Will do.......

FROGGY
23rd November 2014, 21:20
Are all the tyres the same size?

Same size, same make, same wear.

FROGGY
23rd November 2014, 21:22
only thing that I can think of is either tyre pressures or difference in tread to send the tracking out by that much.

None of the above.
It's a puzzle.
Will have to see what Tracky Thingy says.
Need the rain to stop first though.

VN04TVE
23rd November 2014, 21:34
Sounds dumb for the initiated - but one of the first things I did when I got my ZT-T was change over the tyres - front to back - I've always done it on "New" cars to me - only thing was I then got tram-lining, which felt so off - tried a quick " Tracking" session - all ok there...so what gives I thought?...did I check the tyre pressures from front to back...? ....did I 'eckaslike!

..so off to the Air at the garage - 32 on the front/34 on the back -all pressures were so low I thought i had slow punctures on all four tyres..!

...problem solved! Does not feel like I'm still going over pot-holes on a clean road...worth checking if you haven't...

FROGGY
23rd November 2014, 21:40
Sounds dumb for the initiated - but one of the first things I did when I got my ZT-T was change over the tyres - front to back - I've always done it on "New" cars to me - only thing was I then got tram-lining, which felt so off - tried a quick " Tracking" session - all ok there...so what gives I thought?...did I check the tyre pressures from front to back...? ....did I 'eckaslike!

..so off to the Air at the garage - 32 on the front/34 on the back -all pressures were so low I thought i had slow punctures on all four tyres..!

...problem solved! Does not feel like I'm still going over pot-holes on a clean road...worth checking if you haven't...

No, the strange thing is that the car runs straight as a die hands off (which I have found they do if all is OK), no tramlining, nothing untoward apart from the steering wheel being off centre (which it certainly wasn't before the tyre change).

Mick

alanjay
23rd November 2014, 21:43
So, now that you're reading this ;)

.......thought it might be better off here.
To repeat:

Following the grand tyre move-around, the good news is that what sounded like at least three wheel bearings giving up the ghost has gone.
So has the syncopated droning noise, so good result.

Not so good result, the steering wheel is now sitting offset; it's about 5° left of centre. I have a Gunson Tracky thingy, so will try the car on there, but can't think why just changing the tyres should make a difference.

Any ideas folks?

Mick

Wish I could offer a solution but I can't, all I can do is sympathise, if my steering wheel is not perfectly horizontal when driving in a straight line, it drives me nuts.

ROBBIE G
23rd November 2014, 22:01
just one more thing as the suspension had time to settle after the tyre swop? theres nothing else that comes to mind its a puzzler.

FROGGY
24th November 2014, 11:37
So, done the Gunson thingy.

NSF - 0.4 toe-in
OSF - 0
NSR - 0.25 toe-in
OSR - 0

No need to adjust anything, leave well alone.

All I can think of is that because the four original tyres were a mixture, they affected the alignment somehow.
Will have to change the steering wheel position because I hate it when it's off-centre. :mad:

Still find it all a bit strange though.

Thanks for the comments.

Mick

FROGGY
25th November 2014, 19:04
Don't threads disappear fast nowadays?