PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 ancillary belts replacement

Houzi
24th November 2014, 13:42
Quite a simple job but a few have asked.
Haynes manual suggests removal of inner wheel arch to improve access,but I didn't want to faff about removing the wheel and arch etc.and found all can be accomplished leaning over offside wing.
Both belts are de-tensioned by turning a 13mm hexagonal protrusion clockwise(I'll call these de-tension nuts)
Firstly you have to locate the power steering de-tension nut as you cannot see it from this position.Put your arm down behind the power steering pump(photo 1)and feel around for the hexagonal de-tension nut,it's located adjacent to the tensioner pully at about the 7'o'clock position.
TIP...wrap your 13mm socket with sticky tape and slit with a knife(photo 2)this will keep the socket in place.
With your right hand lower the socket down front of engine and use your left hand(still behind the steering pump)to guide the socket onto the de-tension nut(photo 3)Turn socket clockwise to take tension off the belt and pull belt off.Leave the socket in situ to save time/aggro later.
Locate another 13mm socket or spanner onto the easily accessible alternator de-tension nut(photo 4)turn clockwise and pull off belt.The de-tension nut can be pinned in place by inserting a small allen key down the middle of it but I found it not necessary.
Re-fit new alternator belt in original position around bottom pulleys and tensioner pulley,leaving the alternator pulley 'til last.Hold the belt next to the alternator pulley ready to slip on then turn the socket/spanner clockwise again to de-tension the belt and slip the belt onto alternator pulley.
Re-fit new power steering belt around bottom pulley and power steering pump pulley,leaving the tensioner pulley out of the loop(photo 5)With left arm down behind the pump again turn socket with right hand to de-tension belt and place belt into final postion with left hand.
A short inexpensive job...peace of mind. :)

Belts supplied by http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/

DMGRS
24th November 2014, 16:41
If there's not already a How To depicting this, it'd be useful to have in that section. It took me a while to locate which bolts were for adjusting the tension on my first Rover 400! :)

Great guide and pictures, thank you :bowdown:

Avulon
5th August 2017, 16:37
Started off trying it this way from the top - Got the belts off alright, but found that there's not enough space to swing the spanner or socket on the alternator belt tensioner bolt to relieve it enough to get the new belt on. So ended up jacking up and removing the wheel and peeling back the arch liner a bit to get at it all from below. Doing it this way gave plenty of room to swing the tensioner right off. If doing it this way put around the crank pulley last. The power steering drive belt was replaced from underneath as well and proved easy enough. For the short time it takes to remove wheel on the jack and peel back the liner was worth it (4 scrivets removed to peel back liner) compared to trying to do it with tight access from the top.