PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool in the spare tyre well.....

Becs512
25th November 2014, 11:59
I need some help..."An idiots guide to finding and sealing my leak".....
Cut a long story short....I have discovered an indoor swimming pool in the tyre well, only one side of the carpet is soaking and behind the nearside rear light cluster the carpet is showing signs of white stuff (mould I am guessing).
So, hopefully I might be right in thinking it is the sealing on the rear lights...I'm trying to sound like an experienced member here...:}:}
But, really I haven't a clue what to do...and then, when I find the leak how to seal it....:shrug::shrug:
I'm sure this has been discussed within the group before but, I can't find the threads.....:duh::duh:

trikey
25th November 2014, 12:06
A common fault, remove rear light, you will see the split in the seal, clean the seal, superglue the split then a smear of silicone around the seal and jobs a good un :)

Heddy
25th November 2014, 12:09
Hiya, rear light seals are the main culprit, along with sunroof drains and outer strip fixing nuts inside the boot. The one I've just discovered on mine is the rear vents on either side of the boot. They are now sealed, but only around the edge, with clear silicone:}
With thanks to Simon.h
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1547653&postcount=1

Becs512
25th November 2014, 12:10
Trikey...You are star....thank you for replying so, quickly....
Now...continuing with "the idiots guide", is removing the rear light cluster an easy job ?

3pinplug
25th November 2014, 12:10
Hi
I had the same and got some seals from a member on here but also ended up having to silicone the clips under the rear window trim as well, go for the seals first and eliminate one thing at a time. Never come across such a bad design but once you find tbe prob and make a repair touch wood its then dry. Goid luck and sure someine will be able to point to the windscreen clip link if you need it.
Regards
Mark

Becs512
25th November 2014, 12:12
Heddycdt....Strip fixing nuts ????
Help..where are these ?

suzublu
25th November 2014, 12:37
Rebecca, have a read through some of these (http://www.google.com/custom?q=boot+leak&client=google-coop&cof=AH:left%3BCX:Rover%252075%2520%2526%2520MG%252 0ZT%2520Owners%2520Club%3BL:http://www.google.com/coop/intl/en-US/images/custom_search_sm.gif%3BLH:65%3BLP:1%3BGFNT:%236666 66%3BDIV:%23cccccc%3B&hl=en&adkw=AELymgWs9D-8-D5w4nJg2O5pmlAww6fsCA05Xr2R_-wDJXtUXgvT2aG88NPOznYR-Dp0NmUMAUjUCrqhbWiLG1aQJKyu00-ToxSbqt0LXAn4qsV-Xftfe123C9Aw7KxV2I6JWkGoYrAxNTXNni0ekQOM2kQ-IVcJOw&cref=http://www.google.com/cse/tools/makecse%3Furl%3Dwww.the75andztclub.co.uk&prmd=ivns&ei=hoR0VNHEOcnZavTEgqAK&start=0&sa=N) threads, loads of info on the subject ;)

Heddy
25th November 2014, 12:45
Heddycdt....Strip fixing nuts ????
Help..where are these ?

The thin chrome strips running along the upper bodywork outside are held on by nuts. Either side of the boot (inside) you can see where. Sometimes the nuts become loose, mine have been tightened and covered in silicone. On Simon h's pic in the link, on my first post above you can see the round black caps that cover the nuts.

Becs512
25th November 2014, 12:55
Leading on.....Can anyone recommend a make / type of silicone I need to use?
Many thanks to everyone and the fabulous quick help and support...

Heddy
25th November 2014, 12:59
Leading on.....Can anyone recommend a make / type of silicone I need to use?
Many thanks to everyone and the fabulous quick help and support...

Normal bathroom silicone is fine, you can use cheap stuff as long as it's waterproof. Dunno if you know, but it's usually in a cartridge, you snip the top off, screw on the nozzle and use it in a gap gun. :}

Greeners
25th November 2014, 13:40
Link below for the rear seal, lights are held on with 3 x 8mm nuts

I use petroleum jelly rather then silicon as its easier to remove and clean off if required

Doc Evil
25th November 2014, 13:56
Hi
I recommend silkaflex rather than silicon as silicone tends to fail in long term use in high volume water/submerged situations where silkaflex seems to withstand

Another area I have discovered where water ingress can occur is around the seals for the fuel cap lock and the seams around the fuel filler recess
So Far I think we (forum) have found 10 places that allow water into your boot
Don't panic they are curable and all have threads on them
Doc

Jezzer 1
25th November 2014, 14:33
I need some help..."An idiots guide to finding and sealing my leak".....
Cut a long story short....I have discovered an indoor swimming pool in the tyre well, only one side of the carpet is soaking and behind the nearside rear light cluster the carpet is showing signs of white stuff (mould I am guessing).
So, hopefully I might be right in thinking it is the sealing on the rear lights...I'm trying to sound like an experienced member here...:}:}
But, really I haven't a clue what to do...and then, when I find the leak how to seal it....:shrug::shrug:
I'm sure this has been discussed within the group before but, I can't find the threads.....:duh::duh:

New rear light seals available here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=142690

Becs512
25th November 2014, 14:40
Sent you an email Jezzer.....

FROGGY
25th November 2014, 19:37
A common fault, remove rear light, you will see the split in the seal, clean the seal, superglue the split then a smear of silicone around the seal and jobs a good un :)

Will all you folks on here STOP RECOMMENDING AND USING SILICONE.
It's not necessary, and it's friggin impossible to remove.
If you're too tight to buy new seals, repair the old then smear with VASELINE to finish the job.

:mad::mad::mad: Mick