PDA

View Full Version : Drowned 75

navrac
25th November 2014, 14:54
Sadly I sold my 75 earlier this year. However one of my friends who I converted into a 75 lover drove his immaculate 75 diesel tourer into a flood. He was in the middle of the road when a police car came through with its sirens on and he pulled over - the water came over the bonnet and drowned the engine.

So the ECU was waterlogged, the engine seems ok but the headlights and indicators look like goldfish bowls - just missing the fish.

The car did start and drove a little before stuttering and cutting out. It now turns over and wont start and the odbc lists every possible error in the book according to the local garage.

I've sent a PM about getting the ECU tested/repaired. Other than that can anyone suggest what other damage might be done and worth checking for- and anything to attend to before the water dries in the wrong places etc.

Richard
(I'm feeling guilty because I persuaded him to get new alloys, a Ron box new clutch + DMF and a respray rather than scrapping it earlier this year)

Doc Evil
25th November 2014, 15:17
Ecu will throw up all manner of errors if flooded
get ecu to one of the T4 guru's they will be able to sort it for him
drain the lights and if water entered the cabin spray a multicide around wet items prior to drying this will stop mould growth and smells developing
Doc

RPWC
25th November 2014, 15:26
Take the ecu out, put in an airing cupboard or somewhere warm and dry, not direct heat though, or remove it and send it to Marinabrian for repair. If he can't repair it , he can supply and code a new one to the car, for a damn sight less than a dealer or Rimmers would charge.

trikey
25th November 2014, 15:48
ECU to marinabrian, everything else will survive the wet ok.

chipsceola
25th November 2014, 15:48
Sadly I sold my 75 earlier this year. However one of my friends who I converted into a 75 lover drove his immaculate 75 diesel tourer into a flood. He was in the middle of the road when a police car came through with its sirens on and he pulled over - the water came over the bonnet and drowned the engine.

So the ECU was waterlogged, the engine seems ok but the headlights and indicators look like goldfish bowls - just missing the fish.

The car did start and drove a little before stuttering and cutting out. It now turns over and wont start and the odbc lists every possible error in the book according to the local garage.

I've sent a PM about getting the ECU tested/repaired. Other than that can anyone suggest what other damage might be done and worth checking for- and anything to attend to before the water dries in the wrong places etc.

Richard
(I'm feeling guilty because I persuaded him to get new alloys, a Ron box new clutch + DMF and a respray rather than scrapping it earlier this year)

So the engine stalled while exhaust was submerged, my main worry would be a hydraulic lock on one or more cylinders, I note that it started then stalled again, which sounds good, but would still worry about the state of the engine before I spent time and trouble on the ECU or other electrical problems.

Vossy
25th November 2014, 16:02
So the engine stalled while exhaust was submerged, my main worry would be a hydraulic lock on one or more cylinders, I note that it started then stalled again, which sounds good, but would still worry about the state of the engine before I spent time and trouble on the ECU or other electrical problems.

If the engine turns over then there is no hydraulic lock, as the name suggests the engine will lock solid, removing injectors and turning the engine over will remove the water at a high rate of knots though.

navrac
25th November 2014, 16:13
Thanks for all the replies -

No it didn't stall in the water - so I don't think anything got in that way. However the air filter was sopping wet!

It sounds like everything else will survive then so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Garage have removed the ECU - just waiting for a reply to PM to find out where to send it to.

Doc Evil
25th November 2014, 16:44

No it didn't stall in the water - so I don't think anything got in that way. However the air filter was sopping wet!

It sounds like everything else will survive then so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Garage have removed the ECU - just waiting for a reply to PM to find out where to send it to.

Sounds like he was very lucky with wet filter if water was drawn into the induction side of diesel engine then bang new engine required as well
a few more inches of water could have been catastrophic
Brian should be able to sort out the ecu no problem
Doc

marinabrian
25th November 2014, 16:45

Replied to ;)

Brian :D

DMGRS
25th November 2014, 16:51
I'm glad it's being saved - looks like an entirely electrical issue (thankfully) as you'd know if it was hydrolocked. :)

James.uk
25th November 2014, 17:34
If - - you are going through deepish water, and a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction, turn your engine off before his bow wave hits you. :eek:.. And start up again after he has gone... :}

FROGGY
25th November 2014, 19:13
Always found that boats are better in deep water.
Cars? Stay away.................;)

navrac
26th November 2014, 11:30
I think it was partly the oncoming cars bow wave coupled with the car forcing him into the ditch by the side of the road where the water was a foot or so deeper.

The ECU is on its way for a health check/repair - hopefully it was just too wet to work, but rather than mucking around drying it and testing it at garage labour rates it's worth sending it to someone who can test it properly.

Otherwise if it's something else the garage will just keep assuming its the ECU and not bother looking any further.

Fingers crossed.....

marinabrian
28th November 2014, 13:30
Well this was a bit of a tinker......
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/photo1_zps8c8dbd51.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/marinabrian/media/photo1_zps8c8dbd51.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/photo2_zps3bc66936.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/marinabrian/media/photo2_zps3bc66936.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/photo3_zpscb8bb836.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/marinabrian/media/photo3_zpscb8bb836.jpg.html)
This ECM has been subjected to prolonged water ingress if the state of the board and the casing is anything to go by :(

However we have the technology, we can rebuild them :cool:

Phil-T4
28th November 2014, 16:02
Interesting NNW number Brian, it looks like a superchip tune :shrug:

marinabrian
28th November 2014, 17:25
Interesting NNW number Brian, it looks like a superchip tune :shrug:

Have a look see Phil, it's in your inbox now ;)

Phil-T4
29th November 2014, 08:22
Have a look see Phil, it's in your inbox now ;)

Yep i was spot on (aren't i good ;)) dump location 7bbb0h says it all :D

roverbarmy
29th November 2014, 10:49
Yep i was spot on (aren't i good ;)) dump location 7bbb0h says it all :D
I would love to have just an inkling of a clue as to what the **** you are talking about! :D I have to keep ducking with all this stuff going over my head.:getmecoat:

In my day you had plugs, points and a carb and if you had a diesel, it would run just fine with no electrics whatsoever.

In fact, my old loading shovel used to be left parked on a hill each time, so that you could bump start it each morning. You were really in trouble if you had the misfortune to stall it and had to get one of the trucks to give you a tow to get it going again!:duh:
Mike

marinabrian
30th November 2014, 15:02
I would love to have just an inkling of a clue as to what the **** you are talking about! :D I have to keep ducking with all this stuff going over my head.:getmecoat:

In my day you had plugs, points and a carb and if you had a diesel, it would run just fine with no electrics whatsoever.

In fact, my old loading shovel used to be left parked on a hill each time, so that you could bump start it each morning. You were really in trouble if you had the misfortune to stall it and had to get one of the trucks to give you a tow to get it going again!:duh:
Mike

Imagine a set of points set at 14 thou, dwell spot on and a 1" 3/4 SU fitted to your Morris Minor.

Then that's what you have here ;)