PDA

View Full Version : any help tell me what this is and does

horatiostephen
26th November 2014, 21:41
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/y673mnm/rover/IMG_7825.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/y673mnm/rover/IMG_7825.jpg

its the part with 2 hoses on top on left behind the expansion bottle b4 strut mounting
Everytime unlock the car mskes noise for nout 10 seconds

Ps3000
26th November 2014, 21:46
Fairly sure that's the Fuel Burning Heater. It will be working now it's colder.

horatiostephen
26th November 2014, 21:50
Works everytime unlock my car whsts it like pre heat fuel??

Dragrad
26th November 2014, 21:54
Pic uploaded into your first post.:} Do a search on FBH and you will be swamped with information ;);)

Ps3000
26th November 2014, 21:54
Burns diesel to help the engine warm up. There was an optional timer and remote so you keep warm up early/keep it warm.

There's a ton of information about them on here on various threads.

I don't have a diesel and therefore can't benefit from this - but it's similar to one fitted to my previous Diesel Jag. and ex's Landy Discovery. All made by Webasto.

Avulon
26th November 2014, 22:03
Just like to add, if it's starting when you unlock the car, before you turn on the ignition and start the car, then there is a fault on it. As standard unless you have a webasto timer and remote (and there are plenty of modifications to allow remote or timed starting that don't use the webasto kit) it should only start with the engine running when the external temperature is below 5
degrees C And the coolant temperature is below 75 degrees C.

To be on the safe side (from a flat battery should it start at random with the car locked) then either disconnect both wiring plugs from it, or pull fuse 8 from the underbonnet fusebox. If you opt to unplug it then make sure to disconnect the 6 pin plug nearest the front of the car first then the rear plug. When re-connecting do that in the reverse of unplugging.

Now take your time to research possible problems and fixes. Once you've got it working properly you'll be a happy chap. :).