PDA

View Full Version : Air bag warning light -Dreaded 'red fat man' icon is 'on'

rab60bit
27th November 2014, 15:03
Thought there would be loads on this (seeing as we all condemn the poor little yellow plugs), tried a search for the subject but just a blank page!!
So, I'll ask the question - preparation for MOT (today) included the yellow plug/unplug trick as the air bag warning started to play up last week.
It seems to remain OK whilst I'm driving alone but when the wife sits in the passenger seat the light comes on again. If it's a true system fault my guess is the light would not cancel anyway.
So, is there an occupation pad (sensor) in the seats (like Audi and I think BMW) that triggers that particular position to interrogate the system on start-up or is my particular problem something else?
Any suggestions welcome - BTW, failed MOT on a rear tyre (thought it might just squeeze thro' before I was forced to spend even more dough) and handbrake (shoe adjustment required) so I've got a few days to sort those out prior re-test and I prefer not to have the air bag light go rogue on me and cause another failure item just for spite:eek:.

Jim Jamieson
27th November 2014, 15:10
I'm surprised nothing came up on your search,
But if it helps the connections under the drivers seat is a common cause.

The missus's diesel air bag light comes on sometimes when it's moved back for my big legs.

I quick wiggle and it's out again.

pinebob
27th November 2014, 15:43
Thought there would be loads on this (seeing as we all condemn the poor little yellow plugs), tried a search for the subject but just a blank page!!
So, I'll ask the question - preparation for MOT (today) included the yellow plug/unplug trick as the air bag warning started to play up last week.
It seems to remain OK whilst I'm driving alone but when the wife sits in the passenger seat the light comes on again. If it's a true system fault my guess is the light would not cancel anyway.
So, is there an occupation pad (sensor) in the seats (like Audi and I think BMW) that triggers that particular position to interrogate the system on start-up or is my particular problem something else?
Any suggestions welcome - BTW, failed MOT on a rear tyre (thought it might just squeeze thro' before I was forced to spend even more dough) and handbrake (shoe adjustment required) so I've got a few days to sort those out prior re-test and I prefer not to have the air bag light go rogue on me and cause another failure item just for spite:eek:.

have you done the plug unplug thing under both seats as it seems like you have a fault on the one under passenger seat.

rab60bit
27th November 2014, 16:01
I've only fiddled with the passenger seat plug as there is no alarm with just a driver using the car.

biggles 1957
27th November 2014, 16:20
Have you checked under the carpets for water?

chris75
27th November 2014, 16:46
It's worth you unbolting the passenger seat and tilting it back for a better look .I have heard that the wires to the plugs are secured to the seat / cushion frame and that they can break internally due to flexing as people sit on them ! Try unfastening them and let them hang loose !
This might explain the problem you are having .:}

rab60bit
2nd December 2014, 22:38
I've recently posted a question on this but no specific answers - yet!
Persistent air bag light but only seems to alarm only when the passenger seat is occupied (or, whilst in the driver seat, I put just a bit of arm weight/bump the squab with my hand).
Fiddled with both plugs but it just keeps coming back 'on' - no passenger, no alarm. Suggestion on this forum to check that the air bag wires underneath the seat are not cable tied and being 'disturbed' when the squab is depressed by occupant.
Does anyone know how the MGR system senses that there isn't a passenger present? Is there an occupancy sensor in the seat squab or does the system 'arm' when the passenger seat belt is latched.
In the event of a rapid deceleration (i.e. a crash) do all the air bags deploy or just those where there is an occupant?
Meantime I'll keep fiddling, it's just passed the MOT whilst in a no-light mood.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::

Dragrad
2nd December 2014, 23:04
Threads merged as they are related.;)

Neil1
3rd December 2014, 10:33

This is what your after, replacing the connectors under the seats;
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=162111

stevesav
3rd December 2014, 12:35
Have you thought about leaving your wife at home then, problem solved:xmas-smiley-041:

rab60bit
3rd December 2014, 23:51
Have you thought about leaving your wife at home then, problem solved:xmas-smiley-041:
Wondered how long it would take for the smart alec response, should have qualified the question….
Merry Christmas