PDA

View Full Version : Mg-zt 1.8 advice

Joedp1310
27th November 2014, 19:07
My friends 1.8 doesn't feel like it's pulling how it should.
Can anyone advice me what the problem may be??
Full service required??
Change of fuel filter??
Any help would be great.
Thankyou in advance

Jakey010
27th November 2014, 23:41
Is it a turbo or NA

rich17865
28th November 2014, 15:42
Is it a turbo or NA

The OP has described a normally aspirated 1.8 perfectly :D :getmecoat:

Joedp1310
28th November 2014, 18:50
Sorry no it is a non turbo

SD1too
28th November 2014, 21:22
Full service required?
That's a good place to start.
Change of fuel filter?
No. The fuel filter is not a service item. You could check that the two parts are screwed tightly together though. They do loosen, and eventually this results in failure to start. Don't take the container apart though, just check that it's tight.

Simon

VN04TVE
29th November 2014, 01:56
...my 1.8 ZT-T is the 120Bhp Non-Turbo, and the first day I drove it my initial thought was " It's a big car for such a small engine, that must be why it doesn't pull away very well at all - then my son got in and drove it around for 5 mins and told me the throttle response was the worst he'd ever known on a modern car!
..it turns out from what I've read on the forum that this problem can be rectified with a " T4 " Diagnostic session, to alter the response (- I'm not sure how at present, as I've yet to find someone local to me who has the equipment) you have to use this system-
(..and only this system -we've tried others!)
to do the job - no amount of servicing will make any difference to the response, it is ruled by the electronics - in the 3 weeks I've had the car, we've changed everything service-wise - even the belts - and it hasn't made the slightest difference, apart from the fact of knowing our car will get through the winter on a fresh service ..
- a T4 session is the way to go in my opinion - others may correct me, but I'd say give it the full service anyway (Check all the " How-to's on here - they really are helpful!) - all items are very cheap - even a new battery was only £50, and really made a difference to turning over the ignition!

Yella Fella
29th November 2014, 07:47
When he say "not pulling" is this from stationary or on the move?

From stationary: poor pulling power is normal for a 1.8 na. You won't win racing away from traffic lights! This is more suited to the 75 as this car promotes a more leisurely drive but because it's a ZT you get the feeling there should be sportier response from stationary. Once the 1.8 na is on the move It should pull fine and deliver good torque. If it doesn't, maybe the cars clutch is starting to slip.

minimutly
29th November 2014, 16:00
Clutch slip? You'd have to be pretty stupid not to recognise that, as well as the revs rising, the thing would stink the place out.
No, is not clutch slip, or needing a service. You should check the cam timing, then the bcv (boost control valve), in case it's stuck closed. Also a possibility is a stuck open waste gate, knackered turbo, although that would show other symptoms, knackered recirc (dump) valve, leaking boost pipe work, split intercooler(both of these would whistle IMHO).
Don't know what else to suggest?
Oh I know, damaged cat, they can block the exhaust under hi flow, seen this too.
Good luck,
Huw

roverbarmy
29th November 2014, 16:07
The K series is known for top end torque as opposed to being quick off the mark. (ask Lotus) It's a free revving engine higher up the range but in a heavy bodied Rover 75 or MG ZT from a standing start - erm No? I didn't buy mine to race about though so am happy with the leisurely pace and economy.;)
Mike

SD1too
29th November 2014, 16:35
... then the bcv (boost control valve) ... a stuck open waste gate, knackered turbo ... knackered recirc (dump) valve, leaking boost pipe work, split intercooler ...
The engine isn't turbocharged Huw. ;)

Simon

Doc Evil
29th November 2014, 18:14
Hi
not the fastest cars in the world but if you rev it it will goooooo get the revs up between 4000-5500 and she will fly relatively speaking
Give it a good service set the plug gap to 0.7mm and put some super unleaded in people will say it makes no difference but I disagree
It's a big heavy car after all
Doc

minimutly
29th November 2014, 21:13
Oops, non turbo, it will be sluggish then...
Still worth checking cam timing though, I bought a 214 which had been with numerous experts once, new ecu, sensors, loads of stuff. Cam timing one tooth out.
Blocked cat will strangle mid/top end only
Thanks,
Huw (needs to pay more attention)