PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth fitting ZT190 Calipers and Discs to my 1.8t ?

Abott10
28th November 2014, 00:55
Not been happy with the brakes on my MG ZT 1.8t since I got it.
I have obtained a decent pair of ZT190 Front Calipers. I believe all I need are some new Discs ( 325mm ) and pads for the swap ??

A friend fitted ZT190 Front Calipers and Discs to his MG6 and is delighted with them.

So, any pointers, feedback or advice here appreciated particularly from anyone been there and done that.

TIA.

MGmike
28th November 2014, 01:11
hi, i dont know the answer, but i have a mg zt 190 se. and the disca are very large and will not fit inside the alloys that are not 18inch. i have 18in apex alloys.

it is important to realise that the front discs are larger than the rears. so when i had a puncture at the front, the spare spacesaver wheel did not fit the front. you had to put the spaceaver wheel on the rears and put one of the rear wheels on the front. this was a right pain at the side of the road in the rain. it took me ages to work out why the wheel didnt fit.

to summerize, make sure your new larger discs will fit your wheels.

good luck mike

GeraintUK
28th November 2014, 06:41
it's an easy upgrade so i class it as one of those "may as well upgrade, if I have to do maintenance" anyway.
Not seen any 18's struggle yet. SOME 17's will fit over them.
If doing a full upgrade, think about aeroquippe hoses at same time just because it's less hassle than doing later if ever desired.

sikelsh
28th November 2014, 07:13
"Is it worth fitting ZT190 Calipers and Discs to my 1.8t ?"

Probably given the tyres youre running. :D

d_a_n1979
28th November 2014, 10:03
It's always better to have some better braking on our cars so if you've got the ZT190 set-up then get it bunged on! The 1.8T's aren't that much less in power so it'll be fine

Also; space savers should never go on the front; always use them on the rear and swap the rear alloy to the front etc...

Personally I'm not a fan of spacer savers at all and would rather use my BMW 'Tyre Weld' kit etc... Each to their own though!

Organiser
28th November 2014, 19:02
Check what rear brake disc's and calipers you have fitted first! Change them to the bigger vented disc and calipers if they are the non vented ones.

Then change to the 190 front setup after, if you still feel the need too.

Tom.