PDA

View Full Version : Headrests - repairable?

Johnny2R
28th November 2014, 20:01
I picked up an Ash Grey leather interior for my Tourer recently and am in the process of refurbishing it ready to go in. I have to say that there's some (fortunately repairable) damage to the seats which was clearly done by the breaker, perhaps taking his title too literally. One part which isn't at its best is the passenger headrest, where whatever the steel rods attach to seems to have become detached inside the headrest, meaning the headrest is loose and moves up and down.

Has anyone ever dissected one of these and can tell me how they're made up inside? I'm wondering whether I can just dump a load of some glue or other into the holes where the rods go in and hope it sets in place.

Johnny2R
2nd December 2014, 16:18
OK, as a kind of bump for this, does anybody have any suggestions as to what kind of glue might work in this scenario? I'm leaning towards giving Shoe Goo a go at the moment, as it works really well on everything leather and vinyl I've tried it on so far, but I'm not actually sure about quite what needs to adhere to what to fix the problem.

Dorset Bob
2nd December 2014, 17:31
I would just get another headrest. ;)
The headrests are designed to help protect the neck, should a rear impact occur.
If it was me, I wouldn't mess about trying to glue it. :)

Johnny2R
2nd December 2014, 18:44
I would just get another headrest. ;)
The headrests are designed to help protect the neck, should a rear impact occur.
If it was me, I wouldn't mess about trying to glue it. :)

I see where you're coming from. But I have to say that it doesn't really look like a safety issue in this case - it's just a little bit wobbly, it's not going to come off.

Snetty
2nd December 2014, 19:49
I see where you're coming from. But I have to say that it doesn't really look like a safety issue in this case - it's just a little bit wobbly, it's not going to come off.
Then try to repair it, but tbh a replacement surely would be easier all round.

Johnny2R
2nd December 2014, 20:43
Then try to repair it, but tbh a replacement surely would be easier all round.

Easier but pricier. I'll look out for one, though.