PDA

View Full Version : Turbo pipes

p11dge
28th November 2014, 21:19
Good evening,
Yesterday I had to top intercooler hose come adrift, The plastic 90 degree elbow blew out of the intercooler itself! After inspection it was bolted firmly into place with the 10mm bolt but actually bent the mounting bracket to a 45 degree angle. After unbolting it and pushing it back into place i took it for a run with my OBD 2 plugged in and it was reading 21.1 psi of boost,
Is this the correct psi and also is there anything else i need to check maybe the intercooler itself has dropped slightly?
Im new to this forum so any help would be much appreciated:}

klarzy
28th November 2014, 21:33
Good evening,
Yesterday I had to top intercooler hose come adrift, The plastic 90 degree elbow blew out of the intercooler itself! After inspection it was bolted firmly into place with the 10mm bolt but actually bent the mounting bracket to a 45 degree angle. After unbolting it and pushing it back into place i took it for a run with my OBD 2 plugged in and it was reading 21.1 psi of boost,
Is this the correct psi and also is there anything else i need to check maybe the intercooler itself has dropped slightly?
Im new to this forum so any help would be much appreciated:}

you may need to get a set of Viton intercooler rings, they are a couple of quid and well worth doing (the old ones swell and blow out).
I would also bypass and or clean out your egr valve as that may be sooting up and restricting your air flow

p11dge
28th November 2014, 21:37
Okay thanks ill have a look for them now!:} I believe the EGR valve may already be bypassed as the hose to the EGR is not connected?

klarzy
28th November 2014, 21:39
Okay thanks ill have a look for them now!:} I believe the EGR valve may already be bypassed as the hose to the EGR is not connected?

that does not mean the egr is not closed up with soot...

I replaced my orings and took the bumper of so I could put a self tapping screw through the outer pipe and in between where the 2 orings are on the elbow pipe..... move now you ******

p11dge
28th November 2014, 21:48
Sounds like a few jobs for Sunday then!:)
thanks for your help...!

T16
29th November 2014, 01:15
21 seems a bit high?

Thought it was 17.4 as standard.

klarzy
29th November 2014, 08:56
21 seems a bit high?

Thought it was 17.4 as standard.

if the pipes or egr are restricted then it will be higher..

p11dge
30th November 2014, 22:13
Good evening I managed to sort the turbo pipe today by drilling a small pilot hole and using a self tapper between the two o rings, I also cleaned the EGR valve, it wasn't bad at all inside but cleaned it anyway but the boost is still reading at 21.1psi?? would it be worth changing the sensor im thinking its called a MAP sensor? :D

Avulon
1st December 2014, 16:53
Might also be worth checking that the turbo wastegate isn't sticking closed. Check the feed to the wastegate actuator as well.

Just a thought but there's not a mechanical/manual boost controller fitted is there? These can be fitted as a modification to help raise boost pressure and prevent turbo pressure creep due to a gradually opening wastegate/ weak wastegate spring.

p11dge
1st December 2014, 19:24
Might also be worth checking that the turbo wastegate isn't sticking closed. Check the feed to the wastegate actuator as well.

Just a thought but there's not a mechanical/manual boost controller fitted is there? These can be fitted as a modification to help raise boost pressure and prevent turbo pressure creep due to a gradually opening wastegate/ weak wastegate spring.

Hello, there is a manual boost controller fitted i put it in the other week but currently it is backed right off and only using the actuator valve. I will check the waste gate at the weekend to make sure its not sticking :)
The clutch is being replaced this weekend so I am waiting for that to be done before setting up the boost controller but am a bit reluctant to as 21.1 seems too high to start off with.... :christmas:

Avulon
1st December 2014, 20:08
Hello, there is a manual boost controller fitted i put it in the other week but currently it is backed right off and only using the actuator valve. I will check the waste gate at the weekend to make sure its not sticking :)
The clutch is being replaced this weekend so I am waiting for that to be done before setting up the boost controller but am a bit reluctant to as 21.1 seems too high to start off with.... :christmas:

Did you get a boost measurement before fitting? I'm wondering what is the lowest setting on it. I'm assuming the boost controller is connected the right way around, may be worth just double checking.

p11dge
6th December 2014, 14:02
Did you get a boost measurement before fitting? I'm wondering what is the lowest setting on it. I'm assuming the boost controller is connected the right way around, may be worth just double checking.

I checked the boost controller today and its fine, im reading the boost pressure with the OBD2 and the android app, I think it might be worth putting a temporary mechanical boost gauge in just to check its not the app that is at fault and only reading 21.1psi ...?

Avulon
9th December 2014, 10:09
Is the app reading 21.1 at tickover? if so, then it must be the app having a problem connecting, what app / OBD unit are you using?

PS. I've been using a bluetooth ELM327 unit and Torque OBD pro app on my phone.

DMGRS
9th December 2014, 13:48
If you haven't already, it's well worth replacing the O Rings with Viton items - the kit to do so is here:
Viton Intercooler O Rings - 75/ZT CDTi (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/seals-washers-and-o-rings/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-viton-intercooler-o-rings-kit)