PDA

View Full Version : cdti auxilary belt change help

GED75
29th November 2014, 15:43
today i spent 4 hours trying to change the belts on my car,aircon was easy but i cant get the new belt on ,i cant seem to get enough slack ,i thought i had the wrong belt so tried to refit the old one with no luck,the routing is correct and the tensioner is backed off as far as i can get it before the spanner fouls on the car,my question is ,is there a specific last pulley or tensioner i should try and get the belt on ive been trying to get it over the crank pulley but its only going half the width of the diameter ,help please as the car is off the road till i get it sorted

ricardo65
29th November 2014, 16:43
hi sorry to hear you are having trouble fitting the main belt :} try the power steering pulley first then water pump pulley around the tensioner pulley round the crankshaft pulley and idler alternator pulley last this worked for me didn't take long hope this helps :}

GED75
29th November 2014, 16:57
hi sorry to hear you are having trouble fitting the main belt :} try the power steering pulley first then water pump pulley around the tensioner pulley round the crankshaft pulley and idler alternator pulley last this worked for me didn't take long hope this helps :}thanks for the reply,im not sure i would be able to get it round the alternators pulley last i can barely get my hand in:mad:,would the idler be a better bet as its easier access ,:shrug:

ricardo65
29th November 2014, 17:04
are you working from underneath as its really easy to pop it over the alternator pulley remember to still have your spanner on the tensioner it just loops over the alternator pulley then release the tenioner :}

GED75
29th November 2014, 17:12
are you working from underneath as its really easy to pop it over the alternator pulley remember to still have your spanner on the tensioner it just loops over the alternator pulley then release the tenioner :} im working side on,wheel off arch liner off,l will have another go tomorrow ive got to get it done or i will have no car for work on monday :eek:

ricardo65
29th November 2014, 17:17
you maybe find it easier if someone was above and you are underneath :}

GED75
29th November 2014, 17:21
you maybe find it easier if someone was above and you are underneath :}what would the person above be doing:shrug:

as i may have a xtra pair of hands tomorrow

ricardo65
29th November 2014, 17:29
my nephew little ulk was feeding the belts round while I was underneath so we both could keep the belts right we going round the pulleys we did his car and my car in less than half a hour hope you have better luck tomorrow :}

GED75
29th November 2014, 17:50
cheers thanks for your advice,fingers crossed then:}