PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Bolt Query

Kevin Williams
29th November 2014, 23:52
Dear All,
Odd one this.

On my 75, I have the "standard" Number 12 locking bolts and key. However, my ZT on purchase came with locking bolts and key which outwardly look similar and similar size and shape, but are different. The key is stamped "ABC 7" [ on the "nut" end, not the "spline" end as on a Number 12] and the individual splines are roughly half as wide as the splines on a "Number 12", but there are double the number within the circumference.

Three thoughts/questions:

1] Does anyone recognise the ABC 7 number, in relation to maker etc.?

2] Is this the equivalent to a "Number 11" key, which I know were used on some 75/ZTs? I've not ever seen a Number 11 to know and compare the difference with a Number 12

3] Or is it another number in the range [7?], and were these numbers of Rover or BMW origin?

Sorry for so many questions: I do need a spare ABC7 key as the car came with only one. I know I can swap over to a Number 12 or abandon "lockers" completely, bu would prefer to keep what I have.

The ABC 7 does seem to be a better/stronger manufacture than the Number 12. At least it's not as potentially problematical as the later McGard type on the facelift models, but a spare is always handy!

Many thanks in advance for any responses

Kevin

johnandchris
30th November 2014, 09:39
Get rid of locking bolts. I have been a police officer for 10 years and I have NEVER heard in all that time of alloys being nicked. Who is going to Nick alloys from a rover 75!!
On the other hand, my Mcgard recently failed and it was a hell of a job removing them. Finally got them off and they have now been replaced with standard bolts!!
Just my 2p worth.
John

T-Cut
30th November 2014, 10:56
To answer your question on the key code. As far as I'm aware these cars were only supplied with the Code 11, 12 or McGard security bolts. Yours sounds like an after market type.

TC

Kevin Williams
30th November 2014, 15:49
Thanks TC,
I guess my next query is does anyone have a spare Number 11 key so I can compare and then confirm that the ABC 7 is not a copy/clone? Or if someone might know the aftermarket suppliers of lockers to the 75 range to see if ABC 7 is stocked.

Can anyone help?

Kevin

T-Cut
30th November 2014, 16:09
Can't say for sure, but I reckon the rare code 11 key will be very similar to the code 12, maybe one spline more or less. I doubt they vary much in order to retain the spline strength.

TC

James.uk
30th November 2014, 16:15
Forget it and get rid of the locking bolts. No one steals standard ally wheels these days, scrap yards are full of them if you want some.. :shrug:

Kevin Williams
30th November 2014, 17:03
Thanks for the comments.I know I can take off the lockers, but that wasn't the point of my questions....Nonetheless, glad I've generated some interest!

Anyway, I've just done an internet search to see what came up and it looks like what I have on are VW/Audi/Skoda Group lockers possibly originating from a late Golf. Just checking the number of splines to confirm.

Kevin

ROBBIE G
30th November 2014, 17:10
Theres a set here with locking bolt I removed mine on purchase as there so prone to fail have to agree never heard of anyone pinching rover wheels so just normal bolts fitted in mine

T-Cut
30th November 2014, 17:46
Does anyone recognise the ABC 7 number, in relation to maker etc.?

Now we're getting somewhere.
Clicky:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Vw-Seat-Skoda-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Key-ABC-7-Type-19-Splines-/131361585107?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre s_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item1e95c2b7d3

TC

Heddy
30th November 2014, 18:03
Hi Kevin, I understand the question, and also the replies. These locking bolts really aren't worth keeping, the one time they fail will convince you. If you're concerned about theft you can buy slip over chrome plastic bolt covers. these will deter any would be thief, but keep a set of pliers in the boot to remove them.:}

Kevin Williams
30th November 2014, 20:25
Thanks folks. Definitely 19 spline so is the VW group ABC 7. tTies in with some VW wheels fitting the 75 range with same PCD etc. so logical they have switchable bolts too.

Uncertain what to do now, but have the answer

Kevin

rab60bit
1st December 2014, 19:17
Failed recent MOT on handbrake efficiency and low/uneven tread on one rear tyre.
Decided to do the handbrake myself (first time for me on a R75) so up in the air/rear wheels off etc. and I used the locking key to release and re-tighten (with torque wrench), no issues.
Then took the car to Black Circles for two new G'year Assy.2 tyres and requested they rotate fronts to rear in the process and also asked them to use torque wrench ("we do sir") and adhesive weights - even told them my wrench was pre-set and in the passenger footwell ('we have our own sir and all settings are shown on a wallposter in the bay"). All good then you might think.
I took a 7-8 minute stroll to get a Daily Mail for the boss in doors and by the time I returned the front wheels were already off and re-fitted to the rear and the 'technicians' were scouring the first rear hub rim (corrosion sir…...you don't want have to come back with your new tyres leaking do you?) liberally coating their handiwork with a black sealer/adhesive.
Despite my ironical style - I was reasonably happy with what they were doing. New tyres duly fitted/balanced and the fronts went back on (with an air hammer….but set at a very low pressure) and the locking bolts were fitted by 'finger wrench' using the adaptor.
Down went the ramp, out came the torque wrench/17mm socket (the foreman set/checked the torque) and handed the wrench to a 'technician' to complete the final tightening. I was standing out of the way to the rear N/S of the car; F.N/S tightening went OK 6 clear 'clicks' but there was some banter going on between my man and a mate doing a Mazda. My man moved to the F.O/S, I heard 5 'clicks' and then a 'thunk'. R.O/S next, same noise sequence, likewise R.N/S where I could see that the 'thunk' was the adaptor slipping/ratcheting off the locking wheel bolt.
"Your key is knackered sir, you should get a new one otherwise you wont be able to remove your wheels".
Funny it was perfectly OK when I used it the previous day - but then I was concentrating on what I was doing, he was going thro' the motions. No point in complaining was there.
When I got home I checked all 4 wheels before re-fitting the centre caps (took them off myself before going to Black Circles), standard bolts were all OK for torque and I managed to back-off all 4 locking bolts.
So, where can I buy a new adaptor (haven't looked/made a note of the code yet) to suit my existing locking bolts……Land Rover?