PDA

View Full Version : Clutch master cylinder copper pipe.

mechnophobe
30th November 2014, 00:26
Hi All.

I have just limped back home without the use of my clutch, the pedal went to the floor yesterday and after topping the master cylinder with fluid and giving it a few pumps was fine again. Thinking this was due to the slave cylinder failing I thought I would get away with another couple of weeks before topping up again but tonight it happened again and after several attempts to fill the master and bleed the pipeline it still wasn't giving any pressure, on further investigation I found that the copper pipe from the new Tazu master cylinder mod had been rubbing against the bulkhead and had finally split. I must emphasize this is not Tazu fault it was mine for not ensuring the pipe was clear of any surface that would cause disruption. My question is would it be possible to repair the pipe or is there any way to cut out the damaged section and couple the pipe with some kind of compression joints?

David Lawrence
30th November 2014, 04:51
Hi All.

I have just limped back home without the use of my clutch, the pedal went to the floor yesterday and after topping the master cylinder with fluid and giving it a few pumps was fine again. Thinking this was due to the slave cylinder failing I thought I would get away with another couple of weeks before topping up again but tonight it happened again and after several attempts to fill the master and bleed the pipeline it still wasn't giving any pressure, on further investigation I found that the copper pipe from the new Tazu master cylinder mod had been rubbing against the bulkhead and had finally split. I must emphasize this is not Tazu fault it was mine for not ensuring the pipe was clear of any surface that would cause disruption. My question is would it be possible to repair the pipe or is there any way to cut out the damaged section and couple the pipe with some kind of compression joints?

Fit a flexi, that is easier to handle and will not split again. See here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=160779&highlight=flexi

And I think there will be a lot of "I told you so" going on about now so dont be so fast to blame yourself. The linked thread is an excellent read thanks to Rich.