PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT 1.8 2005 won’t start, advice needed.

Steve Crocker
30th November 2014, 10:45
I have an MG ZT with that’s only done 38000 miles that won’t start.
It stopped running after starting easily from cold and then traveling just 10 feet.
I’ve been hearing popping noises from behind the back seat for a number of weeks so suspected that it might be a filter, pump or tank breather pipe issue.
When I pulled the filter housing out it was slightly unscrewed but this could have happened when I pulled it up through the tank seal.
I’ve now replaced the fuel filter, seals and fitted an orange clip but no fuel is getting to the front of the car. Also I can hear the pump running for about 10 seconds when I turn the key. When I turn the ignition off there’s a brief sucking noise from near the injector manifold.

Anyone know of a garage in the Epsom, Surrey area that still works on 75s or can help with a suggestion for my next course of action?

Thanks, Steve.

T-Cut
30th November 2014, 10:52
As said elsewhere:
Replacing the fuel filter cap seal can be tricky. Unless it's done with surgical precision, it will leak. The result is continued FFS. I've been there myself. I'd suggest looking again at the state of the filter seal and replace it if there's the slightest sign of distortion.

Another thing to check before opening up the tank again. Fuel Filter Syndrome causes the RHS of the tank to transfer fuel into the LHS. This is caused by repeatedly running the pump when there's insufficient pressure to start it. If that happens, it leaves the pump inlet starved of fuel so none gets to the engine. If your tank was low before the filter work, it would be wise to try to get a gallon or so in. This should flood the pump OK.

TC