PDA

View Full Version : Greasing steering rack

Gman2
30th November 2014, 12:52
For some time I've had annoying creak from the front drivers side when accelerating (usually 1st and 2nd) and after doing some searches the steering column may be the culprit. It would appear that the boots could require a lube and was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how? The car's just had an MOT and nothing was flagged up front suspension wise hence my reason that it lies elsewhere.

klarzy
30th November 2014, 13:56
For some time I've had annoying creak from the front drivers side when accelerating (usually 1st and 2nd) and after doing some searches the steering column may be the culprit. It would appear that the boots could require a lube and was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how? The car's just had an MOT and nothing was flagged up front suspension wise hence my reason that it lies elsewhere.

I would look at engine mounts first, especially the bottom one, then the struts, especially the strut top bearings and mounts can creak...

this sounds like it is happening under torque and have not heard of a rack doing this...

Gman2
30th November 2014, 15:48
Klarzy thanks for that :} I replaced the lower engine mount a couple of years ago but will have another look. Is it easy to lube the strut top bearings and mounts then without having to strip down lots of components?

klarzy
30th November 2014, 16:38
Klarzy thanks for that :} I replaced the lower engine mount a couple of years ago but will have another look. Is it easy to lube the strut top bearings and mounts then without having to strip down lots of components?

no, best just to put new ones in, they are about 15 quid??

Mike Noc
30th November 2014, 17:12
The lower arm outer uniball (the one that connects to the base of the hub) can also creak when worn.

Gman2
2nd December 2014, 10:37
I thought the struts were looking like the culprits but after pushing down on the front of the vehicle this morning I've noticed there's slight play on the top engine mount and it creaks so that may account for the creak on the drivers side that I'm experiencing. There's lots on the lower mount but not much on the upper - anyone changed one before? Also struggling to find the part as well :icon_frown: