PDA

View Full Version : Changing injectors advice please

Salmon
30th November 2014, 15:39
Does anyone have experience with this I have 4 new ones to fit and am concerned as I know it can be a headache on some cars just getting them out. I'm not planning on doing it at home so am worried I end up with a bill for so many hours of labour from the mechanic.

All advice and experience welcome.

Thanks

cb750chris
3rd December 2014, 12:00
Luck of the draw I think :(
I believe some earlier cars were "missing" an O ring that stopped water getting right down between the injector and cylinder head, causing issues.

I have removed all the injectors on mine with no problems, and am happy to give you a hand if you want...But more as a helping hand than doing the job (but with an associated expectation on payment).

Good luck with this

Chris
Chris

r44flyer
3rd December 2014, 19:06
Yep, luck of the draw. Some are easy, some are stuck solid. What you can do is loosen the fittings and crank the engine over, the pressure may pop it out.

When you say you have new ones to fit, are they actually new? Or reconditioned? Or just second hand?

vindaloo
3rd December 2014, 19:29
Does anyone have experience with this I have 4 new ones to fit and am concerned as I know it can be a headache on some cars just getting them out. I'm not planning on doing it at home so am worried I end up with a bill for so many hours of labour from the mechanic.

All advice and experience welcome.

Thanks

On a 2005 car they should just 'pop out'.

Salmon
3rd December 2014, 19:52
Good luck with this

Chris
Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris,

The engine mount has made the world of difference, Thanks for your Diagnosis. It was perfect on inspection but after it came out a closer look revealed it was split across opposing sides but was hard to spot as the rubber is packed in so tight it just closes in on itself.I had it done while it was in for a drastic drop link failure. the drop link was fitted by the dealer before i bought it about 10k miles ago the other side original has done 124k now and no sign of failure.
I still get the Grrr from the engine so I recon it's the injectors next I can't wait to have it run quietly like it was supposed to.

Salmon
3rd December 2014, 19:53
On a 2005 car they should just 'pop out'.

That's good to know.

Thanks

Salmon
3rd December 2014, 19:56
Yep, luck of the draw. Some are easy, some are stuck solid. What you can do is loosen the fittings and crank the engine over, the pressure may pop it out.

When you say you have new ones to fit, are they actually new? Or reconditioned? Or just second hand?

They're re manufactured Bosch so new but not original.
They look spot on.
I paid £60 each for 4 which was cheaper than servicing and having the car off the road for 4/5 day's.
I hope they're as good as they look.

75driver
3rd December 2014, 19:58
Good luck with this

Chris
Chris

Hi Chris,

I still get the Grrr from the engine so I recon it's the injectors next I can't wait to have it run quietly like it was supposed to.[/QUOTE]

Hi, worth checking some easy stuff first. My previous noisy running was down to the air filter cover not been fitted correctly.
Course, could be totally unrelated.

cb750chris
3rd December 2014, 20:03
Great news on the engine mount.
Hopefully you will get to the bottom of your noise. I am mostly free on sat if you want to have another look for anything.
Chris

coab
3rd December 2014, 20:04
I had one injector leaking so bought the new copper washer set. Ive read pages on the internet and on here about pouring coca cola and leaving overnight etc.
I used my loaf and loosened off the collar nuts a few turns and started the engine. Think about it, the compression from the pistons should do the job if you are not very unlucky.:Snow:

cb750chris
3rd December 2014, 20:10
I had one injector leaking so bought the new copper washer set. Ive read pages on the internet and on here about pouring coca cola and leaving overnight etc.
I used my loaf and loosened off the collar nuts a few turns and started the engine. Think about it, the compression from the pistons should do the job if you are not very unlucky.:Snow:

This way should get the injectors out, but I think I would suggest trying to get the injectors out by unbolting and "wiggling" first, before moving on to anything more serious - the more drastic steps that are taken, the more risk you are taking with damaging other things...

coab
3rd December 2014, 20:17
I did that first but in honesty didnt realise how long they were.:icon_redface: Wiggling and rocking made me worry about pipes and threads etc.:icon_lol:

cb750chris
3rd December 2014, 20:30
Yes, I must admit when I did mine I was surprised too.
I was also surprised at the length of the glow plugs too.