PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start car

lgraham
30th November 2014, 15:46
Hello everyone from a new member.I've just recently acquired a lovely 75 Club Tourer SE CDTi, but it has developed a fault,and I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced this with their car. I unlock the car remotely with the key,and put the key in the ignition lock and turn it on .The "glow plug on " message displays,and then after that goes out I turn the key to start the engine and nothing happens.It first did this a day ago,but on the second or third attempt it started.This morning it would not power the starter motor however many times I tried. I took the key out,plipped it to lock/unlock a couple of times then re-inserted the key and tried again to no avail.
When I looked at the key I noticed that the plastic over the unlock button has cracked. I am wondering whether the key internals are broken.A neighbour has suggested that it may be that the car's immobilisor has stopped recognizing the key.I would be grateful if anyone could suggest an answer to this problem .

Greeners
30th November 2014, 17:16
0Welcome along

Check the battery is in a good state of charge, failing that the solenoid contacts may have failed.

BUT check the plenum chamber that the ECU hasn't drowned. a very common problem on diesels

klarzy
30th November 2014, 17:19
if an auto make sure it is in "P"
otherwise look for water....

lgraham
1st December 2014, 17:32
Thanks guys.I managed to get hold of another starter motor and put it on today,and it works fine now. So I think it might be a good idea to get the one I took off repaired so that I have a good spare.Is this something I could do myself- is it likely that the solenoid needs attention?

Greeners
1st December 2014, 18:08
Kit on ebay, common problem, takes longer to take the starter motor off then it does to fit the kit