PDA

View Full Version : Clutch judder findings anyone have the answer

Mdan
30th November 2014, 17:33
Well chaps after worrying about my judder being DMf I have opened up the master to have a look it was empty but must still been enough to operate the clutch could my judder be due to lack of fluid in the clutch system.

My next job will be to locate leak there is no residue on box top or bottem. Drive the car it seems a lot better say 99% better still think I'll need to bleed it again in the light

Any reponse received with thanks

Anyone had a leak in clutch system

David Lawrence
30th November 2014, 19:06
Anyone had a leak in clutch system

What is the milage on the car, and what kind of master do you have? Original or a tazu?

A slow leak on the slave will not show much fluid around the bell housing because it gets soaked up by all the dust in there or goes on the clutch plate contributing to your judder maybe. The masters are known to leak, but as you topped it up and didnt mention that it was leaking then i assume all was dry around there.

Bleed nipples are known to leak on some as well, but you say there is no fluid on top of the box.

All you can really do is top up regularly until you have enough leaking to tell whee it is coming from.

Mdan
30th November 2014, 19:09
Hi thanks for response car is 136k on original master however the rest of clutch system has done 25k so was last bleed about 2 years ago

David Lawrence
30th November 2014, 19:22
Hi thanks for response car is 136k on original master however the rest of clutch system has done 25k so was last bleed about 2 years ago

Have a good look around the master cylinder and below it to see if the carpet is wet.

Mdan
30th November 2014, 19:28
On the sponge on the plastic cover you remove there are patches thought it was wd40 I sprayed on noisy pedal but I'll have to smell it

Mdan
30th November 2014, 19:51
Anyone had judder from loss of fluid ?

First_damned
30th November 2014, 19:54
I would say change your master for the new all metal one from Andy

Mdan
30th November 2014, 20:57
Anyone or the o ring ?

Polly
30th November 2014, 21:51
Fluid level will drop as clutch wears.

DMGRS
30th November 2014, 22:07
If you've noticed damp patches on the foam, that's usually the first sign of the Master Cylinder starting to fail. They tend to leak there slowly at first, and it gets worse with time.

David Lawrence
1st December 2014, 06:24
Anyone had judder from loss of fluid ?

I had a strong judder for a period of about one week which cleared up by itself. That was in the january, then my master cylinder started sticking about 1cm from the fully up position so replaced that in the february at the same time fitted a remote reservoir so i could keep an eye on the fluid level easily, fluid was dropping about 2ml per week until July when it started going down much faster, eventually replacing clutch and slave in the august.

I think the message is that on a high milage car, when one part of the system fails, you may as well replace the lot.

You can get good replacement metal masters from matt or andy. There are 2 types around, so read up on the various threads and decide which way you want to go. If you decide on the original tazu, i would suggest getting a flexi hose to go with it, if you go for the andy one, it uses the original pipework.

DMGRS
1st December 2014, 12:02
I agree with the sentiment of replacing the lot if it seems to be original - I had mine done on my own ZT-T, and the day after the new Clutch and Slave was fitted, the Master failed (at the Hollow Tree meet on his Club, of all places!).

I learnt my lesson... :D

Mdan
2nd December 2014, 19:23
Will a leaking master cause judder in first pulling away clutch 3 piece changed 25k ago (all motorway miles)

Mike Noc
2nd December 2014, 23:20
Fluid level will drop as clutch wears.

Seeing as we are in the pantomime season: Oh no it won't! :D

Quite the opposite, the level will rise as the clutch wears. ;)

Dragrad
2nd December 2014, 23:58
Threads merged as they are related. ;)