PDA

View Full Version : No power at low speeds

ihatedeskjets
1st December 2014, 18:46
Hi all,

My 1st ask for help so plz be gentle. Yesterday I bought my 75 Diesel and drove it home some 200 miles, taking it easy as it's new to me and noting any faults along the way. It drove ok but somehow I was expecting more from a bmw engine.

It seems very sluggish when pulling away, I have to wait for a big gap in traffic at roundabouts or I get shouted / beeped at, once it's on the motorway it seems ok but if I need to boot it there is a delay before anything much happens.

It's a CDT club with 87k on the clock and in good cosmetic condition.

Reading the forums I supect the MAF needs replacing and read about unplugging to see if there is any change.

I'm currently working away from home in Cardiff and only get 45 minutes for lunch then it's dark when I get to my hotel so can the MAF be unplugged without removing lot's of engine covers and stuff so I can try it in my lunch break?

Anything else I can check for during this small window of daylight?

Thanks in advance and for the mountains of knowledge freely available here.

Ken

klarzy
1st December 2014, 18:50
Hi all,

My 1st ask for help so plz be gentle. Yesterday I bought my 75 Diesel and drove it home some 200 miles, taking it easy as it's new to me and noting any faults along the way. It drove ok but somehow I was expecting more from a bmw engine.

It seems very sluggish when pulling away, I have to wait for a big gap in traffic at roundabouts or I get shouted / beeped at, once it's on the motorway it seems ok but if I need to boot it there is a delay before anything much happens.

Reading the forums I supect the MAF needs replacing and read about unplugging to see if there is any change.

I'm currently working away from home in Cardiff and only get 45 minutes for lunch then it's dark when I get to my hotel so can the MAF be unplugged without removing lot's of engine covers and stuff so I can try it in my lunch break?

Ken

Follow the big fat turbo pipe at the front right of the engine down towards the intercooler and see if the joint has popped off, there are 2 O-rings there which swell and pop out loosing all of your boost pressure.... 2 new Viton ones cost about 3 quid and are fitted in 20 mins...

grs6680
1st December 2014, 18:58
i have the same problem with a cdti tourer i bought 3 weeks ago

ihatedeskjets
1st December 2014, 19:01
Like this ? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=653124&postcount=1

so does my description of the way it drives sound like low boost or no turbo?

Thanks I'll check that in the morning, luckily there is a eurocarparts not far away from my work.

marinabrian
1st December 2014, 20:04
Like this ? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=653124&postcount=1

so does my description of the way it drives sound like low boost or no turbo?

Thanks I'll check that in the morning, luckily there is a eurocarparts not far away from my work.

Eurocarparts staff will likely give you a blank stare if you ask for these.

You will however find them HERE (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74672)

You should as a diesel owner, also invest in one of THESE (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68328) at the same time ;)

Brian :D

ihatedeskjets
2nd December 2014, 16:56
I've ordered the O'rings and a new Maf and Egr bypass assy so a busy weekend for me when I get home. My local Mechie is coming to do an oil change and pcv.

After looking at Jules tips I didn't realise you could get a jubilee clip on the intercooler, this plants an obvious question, why are we not getting rid of that hard plastic elbow and just replacing it with good quality hose?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/81146ed503f7d053.jpg

Phil-T4
2nd December 2014, 20:37
Of course if yours is a 116 it will always be sluggish ;)

ihatedeskjets
3rd December 2014, 08:53
If my intercooler pipe has popped out am I going to do any damage running it until the weekend? I'm working away from home and have to do around 200miles before I get a chance to look at it.

Thanks

klarzy
3rd December 2014, 09:25
If my intercooler pipe has popped out am I going to do any damage running it until the weekend? I'm working away from home and have to do around 200miles before I get a chance to look at it.

Thanks

Not really I think, you may smoke a bit and use more fuel.

Mike Noc
3rd December 2014, 09:35
You could have the win double here - failing MAF and a 116 map, in which case progress will be painfully slow. :getmecoat:

It's Christmas, so get the correct Bosch MAF if it needs changing and treat yourself to a 160 map. It will be like driving a new car. :xmas-smiley-007:

wuzerk
3rd December 2014, 09:48
Hi all,

Ken
Even if your engine is the 116 it will certainly not be sluggish enough to
cause people to beep you unless the Maf has gone. You have to remove the engine cover and the air filter cover which can be a pain the first time as it has two allen keyed bolts at the rear left and right corners but once you have done it it will be easy. Just unplug the connector from the top of the Maf and try it. If low speed performance is restored you can run for as long as you like with it unplugged until you have obtained a genuine replacement.

ihatedeskjets
6th December 2014, 13:09
Just fitted the new MAF and EGR blanking and wow what a difference. I cant believe how much crud is stuck in the EGR and being fed into my engine. As so many have said before it's like a different car, it's hard not to spin the wheels as I've got used to going full peddle I need to ease off a bit now :)

Tomorrow my local mechie is coming over to oil change, we'll get the bumper off and check / replace the O'rings and I'm hoping to fit the new brake pads that were in the boot when I bought the car last week.

I'm really pleased thanks to all who gave their opinions.

Next on the list front suspension, it seems to bounce far too much.

klarzy
6th December 2014, 14:06
Just fitted the new MAF and EGR blanking and wow what a difference. I cant believe how much crud is stuck in the EGR and being fed into my engine. As so many have said before it's like a different car, it's hard not to spin the wheels as I've got used to going full peddle I need to ease off a bit now :)

Tomorrow my local mechie is coming over to oil change, we'll get the bumper off and check / replace the O'rings and I'm hoping to fit the new brake pads that were in the boot when I bought the car last week.

I'm really pleased thanks to all who gave their opinions.

Next on the list front suspension, it seems to bounce far too much.

17 or 18 inch wheels help a lot