PDA

View Full Version : 'Kaiser's Thermostat'

trimani
1st December 2014, 19:02
Hi All,
I have just made a post in the 'General Forum' which really should be here.
I have, waiting to be fitted, a Kaiser Metal Bodied Thermostat. I've had it for a year or more, can't fit it myself, but that's for another time.

My concern now is about the actual thermostat inside and the operating temperature. I have read some rather dated threads that have confused me.

Apparently the Kaiser 'stat operating temp is 80 degrees. The OEM stat is 82 degrees. I also understand the OEM stat can't be fitted to Kaiser Thermostat.
Members were looking into various options , suppliers etc, but the thread was to 'Technical' for me.
Has anyone got any up to date information about this.
Cheers
trimani (Alf)

T-Cut
1st December 2014, 19:14
I believe all 75/ZT engines were originally fitted with stats rated 88C.

TC

trimani
1st December 2014, 19:30
I'm a donut. 88 degrees it is for the OEM one. Thanks
trimani (Alf)

trimani
2nd December 2014, 09:44

TC

Hi T-Cut

I'm getting a bit confused now .
Had a post from DMGRS (Mat) saying that the ones he has are all 'Marked 82 Degrees'

Perhaps there has been a change.

Anyways, I have PM'd the man himself 'Kaiser', and asked him for the up to date situation.
I know there has been a lot of differing opinions in the past.

Cheers
trimani (Alf)

trimani
2nd December 2014, 10:45

TC

Hi T-Cut
I am a 'Donut' for questioning your expertise.
Rated operating temp, 82 - 88 degrees.

Many Apologies

Cheers

trimani (Alf)

dattrike
2nd December 2014, 12:21
Hi Alf,
I had mine fitted recently. With the old
plastic housing the car would cycle at around
96 to 98 Deg C, occasionally rising to 100 Deg C up hills.
With the metal housing fitted the car now runs about
88 to 92 Deg C (I have the Vindaloo gauge fitted).
Some may say this is too low, but I find no difference in fuel consumption
and it gives me more confidence with the lower temperature.
Regards
DT

SD1too
2nd December 2014, 19:32
I'm getting a bit confused now . Had a post from DMGRS (Mat) saying that the ones he has are all 'Marked 82 Degrees'
Alf,

The KV6 plastic thermostat housing is marked 82°. I don't know why this is; perhaps the 800 series used one, and the tooling for the housing hasn't been changed. However, I can assure you that the thermostat within opens at 88° for Rover 75 applications as stated in RAVE. I have tested it! :)

Simon

trimani
2nd December 2014, 20:20
Hi Simon,

Yes, that how it seems to be. Thank you. Cost cutting management didn't want to spend to change it.
Makes it very confusing.

Gatekeeper has been able to get some from a company called GSF-operating temp 92C. He takes them out to Kaiser, who adapts to fit housing. These have been tested here in UK, and have proved OK.

Anyway, I have now ordered one from DMGRS (Mat) who has managed to source some that fit the housing OK. I'm not sure who he sourced them from but they have operating temp of 87 degrees, which I think should be fine.

Main thing is, at least there are some spares available now.

All I have to do now is find some unsuspecting person capable of fitting it, and down here in Poole that will probably be as difficult as finding 'Hens Teeth'

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Your a 'Top Fella'. Same goes for the rest of you guys.

Cheers
trimani (Alf)