PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes.

johnnyb44
2nd December 2014, 05:06
Good Morning to all.
Up nice and early for another day at work so i thought i would ask now as i won't have a chance later.
My cars booked in for its mot later on this evening and while thinking of all the doom and gloom scenarios on what it could fail on , emissions could be one of them
My maf is disconnected and the car runs beautifully with it like this. Loads of power , no real smoke issues ,but when left ticking over for 10 minutes or so ( and they do this alot at mot stations ) the car really smells strong from the exhaust. I can't even explain the smell but its not a burning oil smell.
Is this or having the maf disconnected going to cause me any problems with getting a pass.
Pls don't find me ignorant in not joining in later on with this post as im at work but i will read with interest.
May thanks .Johnny

Rick-sta
2nd December 2014, 07:41
Diesels dont have a emissions test, just a smoke test so you should be okay. Mine gives off a really strong smell of fumes when stopped, i've changed so many parts to try and get rid of it but it wont go.

You could always plug the maf back in just for the test if its being caused by that :)

Mike Noc
2nd December 2014, 08:58
If it is a rotten egg type smell then it is due to the sulphur content in the fuel.

As mentioned it isn't an MOT fail. Could be worse when the engine overfuels so try plugging the MAF back in.

Also try a different fuel - ultra low sulphur diesel (ULSD) may improve things. It could also be due to a partially blocked catalytic convertor, especially if it has got noticeably worse over time.

johnnyb44
2nd December 2014, 16:55
Good news all.
My car passed its mot today with flying colours. No advisory either to. Im one happy chappie tonight. The mot tester is a decent guy who lets you walk round with him while he's doing the test. He even lets you look around underneath the car to check what areas need undersealing. This year gone I've had a 160 remap and I've left the maf sensor unplugged.The goes like a rocket and the fuel consumption has virtually be unchanged averaging around 41/43 mpg ( auto ).
One thing that had increased is the emissions though. Im no expert on the facts and figures ,but from what i can see ,and been told by Mr mot man ,is that last years average smoke test was 0.56 m-1 while this years was 2.25 m-1. He told me the limit on the fast pass limit was 3 so its still quite well within the limits.
So is the higher smoke test down to the remap or my unplugged maf or is it possibly both.
So there you go. If your planning on unplugging you maf or having a remap done your car should sail through the smoke test at mot time.
Ps
Many thanks for all your replies today
Johhny