PDA

View Full Version : No power after belt change

AndyAitch
2nd December 2014, 11:19
Hi all, panic time...

Just had the belts done on my 190 by my local garage who says he has done loads of these, he had all the tools and he's done work on my cars before with no problems.
While he was loosening the bolts on the front bank cam sprockets, the end of the cam has cracked on both cams. He got a couple of camshafts from a breakers, they were both in good condition but now I have the car back and there's no grunt, acceleration is slow and it feels like a different car... I've checked both VIS motors and they're fine. Not happy as I was getting ready to sell.

Any ideas?

tourer
2nd December 2014, 11:27
Wrong camshafts or valve timing wrong. One tooth out??

AndyAitch
2nd December 2014, 11:39

I was thinking that the cams might be wrong but it's a pretty dramatic fall off of power...

Badgerju202
2nd December 2014, 11:42

Ya spot on sounds like it's a tooth out just take it back and get it checked nothing worst then a 190 having no power :o hope that helps

AndyAitch
2nd December 2014, 11:49
Ya spot on sounds like it's a tooth out just take it back and get it checked nothing worst then a 190 having no power :o hope that helps

I'm thinking that if it's a tooth out, both front and back belts will have to come off again?

jn12
2nd December 2014, 11:54
If the locking tools were used I am amazed they managed to damage the cams. Not only do the tools set the correct timing they hold the cams so you can undo the pully bolt with out causing damage.

Could be either the wrong cams as the 190 differs from the over v6 versions or the timing is out. The 190 has differant timing on the rear bank then on the front and if the tools are used on the wrong banks this would cause a timing issue.

Stag>75
6th December 2014, 09:33
If the locking tools were used I am amazed they managed to damage the cams. Not only do the tools set the correct timing they hold the cams so you can undo the pully bolt with out causing damage.

Could be either the wrong cams as the 190 differs from the over v6 versions or the timing is out. The 190 has differant timing on the rear bank then on the front and if the tools are used on the wrong banks this would cause a timing issue.

Completely agree. These sound like classic mistakes. I rarely make such a comment but I would be taking the car to someone better.

chris75
6th December 2014, 09:44
Hi all, panic time...

Just had the belts done on my 190 by my local garage who says he has done loads of these, he had all the tools and he's done work on my cars before with no problems.

A

Assuming he used the camshaft locking tools on the front ends, did he have the right adaptor plates ? There are 3 versions for the 2.0,2.5 and the 190 and they each set a different timing position . The 190 is not normally included in the sets and has to be obtained separately , so perhaps he has timed it as a 2.5 ?

SirRustalot
6th December 2014, 09:55
I would agree with that. Most likely scenario. I say this as I only just found out that the 190 uses a different cam tool. And I thought I knew a lot about Rover/MGs!!!

minimutly
6th December 2014, 21:49
Anyone know how much difference it makes ( in degrees etc) if the wrong tools are used - is it a degree or so, or do the different tools throw this a mile out?
If the cams were damaged, and they were changed for 180 cams, then 190 tools used, would this error be substantial?
Power wise, there can't be much difference between the 180 and 190, it would be hard to tell them apart, but if the cam tools then throw everything into a cocked hat, that's a different story.
Huw

Organiser
7th December 2014, 14:39
If the cams were damaged, and they were changed for 180 cams, then 190 tools used, would this error be substantial?
Power wise, there can't be much difference between the 180 and 190, it would be hard to tell them apart, but if the cam tools then throw everything into a cocked hat, that's a different story.
Huw

Just to stop any confusion, the ZT 180 engine and ZT 190 engine are timed with the same tools as it is the same engine! The lower output of the 180 engine is down to a different ecu being fitted.

The Rover 2.5 V6 is 177 bhp and is timed differently as is the 2.0 V6.

Regards,

Tom.