PDA

View Full Version : Whine when airco on.

Rovering
3rd December 2014, 00:45
Hi all,
I have noticed a whine noise coming from the heater area whenever the aircon is used. When I touch the Econ button, which turns the airco off I assume, the noise goes away. The whine also changes its note if you rev engine up.
Does this mean my airco pump is on its way out, or is it like a low gas level or suchlike? Drivers side blows cold when airco on, sometimes I have noticed that the passenger side is quite a bit warmer though.
Any suggestions as to what the whine could be from?
Cheers,
Graeme

SD1too
3rd December 2014, 08:51
... or is it like a low gas level ...
That's the first thing to check Graeme. Extract the refrigerant, measure it, hold a vacuum for at least 35 minutes to remove the moisture from the dessicant pack, and recharge with the correct weight of refrigerant.

Simon

Vossy
3rd December 2014, 09:23
I had similar in the summer, whine only when aircon was on, the aircon was cold but not that cold, when I looked at the aircon drive belt it was full of cracks so I replaced that and had the aircon re-gassed, whine gone now.

DMGRS
3rd December 2014, 10:27
Low gas also caused this on my ZT-T - once regassed it was fine. :)
The auxiliary drive belts aren't too expensive; I only carry the Dayco items as I had problems with other brands.
KV6 Auxiliary Drive Belt (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/auxiliary-drive-belts/products/genuine-dayco-rover-kv6-auxiliary-belt-pqs101272-45-75-zs-zt)

SD1too
3rd December 2014, 10:34
The A/C belt is often ignored as it's hidden behind the main belt - worth checking while you're in there. They're not too expensive:
A/C Drive Belt - 75/ZT CDTi (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/auxiliary-drive-belts/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-air-conditioning-drive-belt-pqs000180)
Mat,

You've got "diesel blindness" today! Graeme's car is a V6 and, if it's anything like mine, doesn't have a separate air con. drive belt. :D

Simon

rab60bit
3rd December 2014, 10:42
Hi all,
I have noticed a whine noise coming from the heater area whenever the aircon is used. When I touch the Econ button, which turns the airco off I assume, the noise goes away. The whine also changes its note if you rev engine up.
Does this mean my airco pump is on its way out, or is it like a low gas level or suchlike? Drivers side blows cold when airco on, sometimes I have noticed that the passenger side is quite a bit warmer though.
Any suggestions as to what the whine could be from?
Cheers,
Graeme
Yup, same issue/symptoms earlier this year on my 2.5 Contemporary.
Get someone who does the job properly and a re-gas etc. should sort it out, no noise and cold air when you need it.

DMGRS
3rd December 2014, 11:06
Mat,

You've got "diesel blindness" today! Graeme's car is a V6 and, if it's anything like mine, doesn't have a separate air con. drive belt. :D

Simon

I have indeed - can you tell I've been working on my diesel ZT-T this morning? Came inside to defrost, and it's not reached my brain yet. :p:
Now edited. Thank you!

milleplod
3rd December 2014, 11:44
+1 for having the system properly checked/recharged. My 75 was just the same, after a visit to the local aircon guy, it went away.

Pete

HenryD
3rd December 2014, 13:41
+1 for having the system properly checked/recharged. My 75 was just the same, after a visit to the local aircon guy, it went away.

Pete

Yep ,mine too ,re-gass shut it up.

Rovering
3rd December 2014, 18:03
Thank you all for your replies. Re gas it is then!
Is going to be an expensive next couple of months for me........belts to all be done, 4 new tyres, a kaiser thermostat and now an aircon re gas!
Graeme