PDA

View Full Version : Manually turning over the crank to fit auxiliary belt

JoelH
19th December 2014, 13:54
Hello,

We are currently fitting an auxiliary belt - we want to manually turn the crank to help it go on. What precautions should we use? Battery removal ? Spark plug removal? We don't want it catching and taking the socket with it.

Kind Regards
Joel

marinabrian
19th December 2014, 15:38
Hello,

We are currently fitting an auxiliary belt - we want to manually turn the crank to help it go on. What precautions should we use? Battery removal ? Spark plug removal? We don't want it catching and taking the socket with it.

Kind Regards
Joel

I would have thought your diesel wouldn't be fitted with spark plugs, and I find it considerably easier (and safer) to use the tensioning tool, in your case a 24mm spanner to fit the belt.

Apart from anything else, if you fit a belt by "stretching" it over the pulley, you will fracture the internal cording and reduce it's lifespan considerably ;)

Brian :D

RUSSELLO
19th December 2014, 20:16
Hi,

I'll ditto that, the spanner as mentioned and long enough to give plenty of leverage on the tensioner nut, and a little patience and a swear box is really all that's needed. I've done it twice now, once at about 70k as a precaution and again when I replaced the Stat and housing at about 90k. If you haven't done it before I would strongly suggest making sure you have a diagram handy for the "route" it takes, cos it ain't half convoluted. Not my most favourite job so far but certainly not at the top of the most difficult list. As already mentioned it should not be forced onto any of the pulleys.

Regards,

Russ :snowfight1: