PDA

View Full Version : protection for new wheels

black olive
7th May 2008, 21:05
Blackolive is being treated to a set of new alloy wheels.
whats the best product to use from the outset to protect them from brake dust etc ?

thanks

JohnDotCom
7th May 2008, 21:24
Not using Car normally cures it.

Or Don't Brake. :D

pmessling
7th May 2008, 21:32
well according to auto express product test,
1, Mer Wheel Wax
2, Turtle wax extreme nano-tech wax for wheels
3, Autoglym Alloy wheel seal
4, Rim wax

the product that i use is turtle wax brake dust barrier, the only thing it got slated for is that is doesn't buff up as shinny, although through the amount of time i have used it brake dust comes off easily everytime. when i run out i will try another product

Peter

Tatts
7th May 2008, 21:46
I've heard good reviews on this (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-amp-tyres/chemical-guys-wheel-guard/prod_197.html). Chemical Guys products are pretty good!

What are you using to clean them at the moment?

AURORA MG
7th May 2008, 23:22
If you use any of the sealers you need to take wheels off the car or ideally do it before they get put on in the first place however I don't ever bother with any of them & I am a professional valeter & able to get any of them whenever I want.also unless you do as below anyway it's pointless applying the stuff.

My wheels are pretty much as good as they were origionally & on my ZR-Express van they are chrome lipped!.
*Wash them as often as you can & only when they are cold.
*Find the best brush or brushes to get inside the grooves or nuts if they are a more fancy style like split-rims. Halfords/Wilkinsons do some good brushes & Autoglym have just brought out a new soft brush which I have now got (It's red).
*Get some Autoglym or similar mild truck wash diluted in a hand spray & wet the wheels first then spray a little all over the wheel & tyre & use the appropriate utensil to work for you.
By doing this as often as you can prevents brake dust build-up & stops the wheels going dull & peppered with black spots.

Jules
7th May 2008, 23:27
Blackolive is being treated to a set of new alloy wheels.
whats the best product to use from the outset to protect them from brake dust etc ?

thanks

What design wheels have you chosen Steve?
Any pics?

The OEM 260 alloys were poor quality finish IMO

deano78
8th May 2008, 08:47
i use the wheel guard tatts mentioned, not only does it deter dust build up,making them easier to clean without reaching for superstrong cleaner every wash, it also gives them a "wet" shine. one tub will last an absolute age. in fact you're in my neck of the woods arent you black olive? feel free to pinch some if you like.

black olive
8th May 2008, 09:43
Thanks for the offer Deano- I will take you up on that.
Ill Pm you and get in touch