PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for the Scone Show 2015

Yella Fella
3rd January 2015, 14:12
Following on from the excellent result at Scone 2014 when we won the Best Dispay at Show. That result was made up from differnt elements, the way the cars were displayed, Aldos display stands etc. so for 2015 we need a theme.

The theme for 2015 is. . . .

http://puckinmidsummer.typepad.com/.a/6a011570773d8d970b01538ffb91b0970b-pi

The plan is to reflect Rover and MGs heritage by having items with Union Jacks. So keep an eye out for anything that fits the bill.

I'm planning on covering my car with a large Union Jack car cover (double quilt cover) cheap from eBay. I have a source for lots of Union Jack flags too.

Of course it takes input from everyone to achieve a great stand so if you want to participate please pick up anything that fits with the 'Made in Great Britain' theme and join in the fun. It need not cost a lot of money, just a few pounds. Have a look on eBay, pound shops etc. over the next few months to be ready for the show in the summer.

YF

Yella Fella
3rd January 2015, 14:16
Just bought this for a fiver!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261611813500

parahandy
3rd January 2015, 15:27
Just bought this for a fiver!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261611813500

Whar are we gonny sit the dummy???

Yella Fella
3rd January 2015, 15:43
Whar are we gonny sit the dummy???

Lol. In your drivers seat when your polishing the Dorchester.

Would be fun if we all had one of those t shirts on!

parahandy
3rd January 2015, 15:46
Lol. In your drivers seat when your polishing the Dorchester.

Ye mean when the wife,s polishin it!

James.uk
3rd January 2015, 15:51
Scone show??? :shrug: location and more details like date etc would be nice innit... :p: lol.. :D:D:D

Yella Fella
3rd January 2015, 16:07
Scone show??? :shrug: location and more details like date etc would be nice innit... :p: lol.. :D:D:D

The location is Scone. No date has been announced by the organisers yet.

parahandy
3rd January 2015, 16:35

Crowning place of the Kings of Scotland - and we'll be flying the Union Flag. Aye right! - Danny and lion's den spring to mind.

fraz59
3rd January 2015, 16:37
The location is Scone. No date has been announced by the organisers yet.

or Scone palace grounds Scone, which is just outside Perth Scotland.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Scone+Palace/@56.4223523,-3.4413841,422m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48863b61b0ea616f:0x340cd d1284dcd3e7?hl=en

suzublu
3rd January 2015, 16:38

It's where they make scones Bob, pronounced, Sconns ;):D:D

parahandy
3rd January 2015, 17:20
It's where they make scones Bob, pronounced, Sconns ;):D:D

Pronounced Scoon by the way.

suzublu
3rd January 2015, 17:22
Pronounced Scoon by the way.

The one's we eat are sconns ;):D Anyway, might have a trundle up to this if I've nowt on :shrug: I'll be the one wearing a St George's shirt Andy :D

parahandy
3rd January 2015, 17:30
The one's we eat are sconns ;):D Anyway, might have a trundle up to this if I've nowt on :shrug: I'll be the one wearing a St George's shirt Andy :D

Perfect target Ronnie.

FLYER
4th January 2015, 12:48
Don't want to put a damper on your idea Glenn but Perth is a hotbed of nationalism .

The SNP hold their party conference there

It would be a bit like flying a union jack at a Celtic match ....:eek:.:D

Yella Fella
4th January 2015, 17:16
Our cars carry the Union Jack on the C pillars from the factory and we should be proud that we own and drive one of the finest examples of British made cars. They are "Made in Great Britain" hence the theme.

The use of the Union Jack at Scone has nothing to do with religion, royalty, politics' football or any other subject. It's unbelievable that using the flag at a car show has resulted in these associations. :shrug:

The idea can be binned if people are offended in some way by the Union Jack.

FLYER
4th January 2015, 17:38
[QUthat's your ella Fella;1882110]Our cars carry the Union Jack on the C pillars from the factory and we should be proud that we own and drive one of the finest examples of British made cars. They are "Made in Great Britain" hence the theme.

The use of the Union Jack at Scone has nothing to do with religion, royalty, politics' football or any other subject. It's unbelievable that using the flag at a car show has resulted in these associations. :shrug:

The idea can be binned if people are offended in some way by the Union Jack.[/QUOTE]not the reaction I hoped for from you Glenn but if you feel that way I will no longer be part of our meets .

If my input in this thread has offended you i see no point in being part of the Group.

Graham1961
4th January 2015, 18:22
It was a superb show last September.

As for a theme, the cars were British, we could have Union Jacks, Saltires and if Ronnie comes up we could fly the St Georges Cross from our flagpoles.:D:D

stevestrat
4th January 2015, 18:32
The way George is talking I think he's planning on flying Glenn from the flagpole :D

Graham, I think you'd be pushing your luck flying a St George's Cross!

parahandy
4th January 2015, 18:41
Let's lighten up lads, anything I have said in this thread is meant to be seen as banter, I have no problem at all with the Union Flag.

FLYER
4th January 2015, 19:03
Let's lighten up lads, anything I have said in this thread is meant to be seen as banter, I have no problem at all with the Union Flag.

And neither do I but I don't think looking like the NF to promote our cars is a good idea .

The Union flag can be viewed in a very negative way in the publics eye.

Yes the car is a British icon but we are Scottish .

Frankly i think appearing unionist in a area renowned for nationalism would be a mistake .

I dont wish to be seen as extreme in this club so i think it best i restrict my involvement in future meets.

stevestrat
4th January 2015, 19:23
Calm down and have a wee dram George.

Les4048
4th January 2015, 20:09
Whoa there's nothing wrong with the Union Flag and made in Britain theme and that's from a true and proud patriot

Reebs
5th January 2015, 16:45
I see nothing wrong in Glenn's theme of Made In Britain. It's inspired if you ask me, and just like the cars we drive many of our members represent and were made in Britain.

Now granted if Glenn was considering entering a political rally with the meet, then I could see George's point, but this is a stand alone car rally and as such must be seen in context.

I certainly wouldn't consider covering any of the badge work or club stickers on my car purely based upon where I was taking it for a static car display.

Please folks, either enter into the spirit of this meet as it was intended, or just agree to bow out with grace. But we neither want a political bun fight between members in this thread nor at the meet come the day.

FLYER
5th January 2015, 21:19
I see nothing wrong in Glenn's theme of Made In Britain. It's inspired if you ask me, and just like the cars we drive many of our members represent and were made in Britain.

Now granted if Glenn was considering entering a political rally with the meet, then I could see George's point, but this is a stand alone car rally and as such must be seen in context.

I certainly wouldn't consider covering any of the badge work or club stickers on my car purely based upon where I was taking it for a static car display.

Please folks, either enter into the spirit of this meet as it was intended, or just agree to bow out with grace. But we neither want a political bun fight between members in this thread nor at the meet come the day.Not a problem because I wont be there .

Was very proud last year to help win the club trophy but plastering my car with a Union Flag and wearing a Union jack T-Shirt is a step too far .

As I said yesterday I wont hold the Scottish scene back .

I will just choose my events in future .

I hope the troops do well at the meet .

Astraeus
5th January 2015, 23:04
Not a problem because I wont be there .

Was very proud last year to help win the club trophy but plastering my car with a Union Flag and wearing a Union jack T-Shirt is a step too far .

Hi

While I can see both viewpoints to this I have to agree with George. Overdoing the Union Jack thing will not go down well there. You will certainly not win the trophy again. As for the statement 'covering up badges on our cars' nobody was suggesting that. I think our stand looked grand with the 'Rover' theme. We had Rover flags etc. I think that is what our theme should be.
I think that it would be wise not to go for the Union Jack theme and concentrate on the Rover theme. Just my viewpoint and others are if course available as the BBC would say.

keithybhoy
5th January 2015, 23:09
I think i might be attending this one with the scottish mg rover facebook page. Iv set up pol for us too for april so wont be going to that with the 75/zt oc either ☺☺

James.uk
6th January 2015, 01:57
Too far for me, four hours each way innit, sorry...... :o

Graham1961
6th January 2015, 06:16
Hi

While I can see both viewpoints to this I have to agree with George. Overdoing the Union Jack thing will not go down well there. You will certainly not win the trophy again. As for the statement 'covering up badges on our cars' nobody was suggesting that. I think our stand looked grand with the 'Rover' theme. We had Rover flags etc. I think that is what our theme should be.
I think that it would be wise not to go for the Union Jack theme and concentrate on the Rover theme. Just my viewpoint and others are if course available as the BBC would say.

I have 3 Rover flags......:}

FLYER
6th January 2015, 08:32
Too far for me, four hours each way innit, sorry...... :o

Lightweight.......:D.:p::p:

Yella Fella
6th January 2015, 09:09
Not a problem because I wont be there .

George,
Rather than decide the theme or show is not for you and quietly bow out as suggested you have taken this thread and good intentions of the show off in an negative direction by stamping your political stance by posting with mentions of unionists, nationalism and the national front etc. Totally uncalled for.

Nowhere does it say you should plaster your car with a union flag or wear a union jack t-shirt so you are entirely wrong. Please re visit the original post for correct information as your posting of incorrect information (deliberately or not) will mislead others who may believe they are being asked to do this which can negatively impact on members decisions who want to attend.

Due to the negative input I’m now in a difficult position as I need to decide whether to continue or not, all based on the unnecessary political viewpoints and I will ask for this thread to be closed.

YF.

Duotone
6th January 2015, 09:16
Thread closed at OP's request.

Dave T