PDA

View Full Version : Creaking clutch pedal cured

whippet
10th January 2015, 16:27
Gradually sorting my 75, one annoying problem i had was a creaking clutch pedal,sounded horrible, so after reading some great posts on the
forum,someone mentioned the plastic pedalbox was the problem, so loosened the four nuts holding the pedalbox to the bulkhead (a long 13mm socket is needed with short extension), then pulled the pedalbox slightly forward and put a thin strip of rubber along the bottom edge of the pedalbox and just push up slightly under the pedalbox lower lip, retightened four nuts and perfectly silent, this is not my idea,just following advice on the forum,seems a common problem, very satisfying job for a saturday afternoon.:D

planenut
11th January 2015, 08:51
That must be very satisfying; rattles and creaks are really annoying. I have a constant rattle somewhere near my right ear (when I'm in the car) and it seems to come from the upright cover on the window frame, but still cannot sort it.

whippet
11th January 2015, 09:16
With a lot of rattles etc, you often think you know where the noise comes from but often it comes from somewhere your not looking, with the creaking clutch pedal i could of sworn it came from the mechanism area but by searching on the forum, the plastic pedalbox was a common problem,don't think i would have sorted without the forum, excellent forum with so much information for 75/Mg owners.:bowdown:

neilb740
11th January 2015, 18:09
With a lot of rattles etc, you often think you know where the noise comes from but often it comes from somewhere your not looking,

You should try tracking them down when you only have one working ear!
everything comes from the same direction to me lol

Good tip for the creaking pedal box, I have the same problem.

How thick was the rubber strip you used?

hamster19
11th January 2015, 18:48
Fixed mine with wd40, about 4 thousand miles ago, still quiet. :}

whippet
11th January 2015, 21:26
Neil, we had a rubber mat from the pound shop so i cut a strip off that, it was approx 1mm thick, the pedal box when the four nuts are loosened lifts approx 5mm off the bulkhead so the rubber can vary in thickness as long as it goes under the bottom edge of the pedal box bottom lip, ATB

Dorset Bob
11th January 2015, 22:04
That must be very satisfying; rattles and creaks are really annoying. I have a constant rattle somewhere near my right ear (when I'm in the car) and it seems to come from the upright cover on the window frame, but still cannot sort it.
It could be the door locking button.
They have a habit of rattling.
:(

Departed 32016
11th January 2015, 22:09

It will be the seatbelt adjuster?