PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem...

wraymond
11th January 2015, 15:03
...but not the usual one. Boot is shut and locked, release mechanism on bottom of A pillar has no effect and does not give any audible sign of making contact. Key/lock cylinder was changed many years ago, so key not operative. Could this be a fuse? If so, which one, where? If not, can boot be opened from inside (removing seats)? Puzzled of Essex. Thanks.

muckley
12th January 2015, 11:53
Press the button on top of the seat back near the head rest and the seat back folds forward.

Alan123
12th January 2015, 12:43
Could be a fuse or faulty switch :shrug:

Rick-sta
12th January 2015, 13:03
Press the button on top of the seat back near the head rest and the seat back folds forward.

Unless your 75 is a very early model, you should be able to fold the rear seats down. Most cars have the buttons to fold the rear seats down near the head rests. However some apparently have straps like below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Colin/Rover%2075%20and%20MG%20ZT%20Buyers%20Guide/rover75seatslips.jpg

That will allow you to gain access to your boot. Cant see a separate fuse for the boot release in the owners manual though.

Just a thought on something you may be able to do in the future, as your key lock cannot be used to access the boot (which means you have to open the boot by pressing the boot release button inside the car), you could have a facelift BCU fitted in the future and have it coded via t4 which will allow you to open your boot remotely via your key fob like on a MKII car :) I've just had this done on my MKI ZT :)

stocktake
12th January 2015, 13:28
All Models have folding rear seats either with the button on the seat or the strap under the back / base as previously mentioned.
It is possible the plastic facia that holds the boot release button has been removed at some time and this almost always results in the wiring plug into the back of the switch to pull out ;)

Then again it could be as simple as a discharged battery

:)

D...

wraymond
12th January 2015, 13:37
Unless your 75 is a very early model, you should be able to fold the rear seats down. Most cars have the buttons to fold the rear seats down near the head rests. However some apparently have straps like below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Colin/Rover%2075%20and%20MG%20ZT%20Buyers%20Guide/rover75seatslips.jpg

That will allow you to gain access to your boot. Cant see a separate fuse for the boot release in the owners manual though.

Just a thought on something you may be able to do in the future, as your key lock cannot be used to access the boot (which means you have to open the boot by pressing the boot release button inside the car), you could have a facelift BCU fitted in the future and have it coded via t4 which will allow you to open your boot remotely via your key fob like on a MKII car :) I've just had this done on my MKI ZT :)

Thanks for that, car is year 2000. Seats do have straps and I have previously removed the seats for investigation and cleaning. It's what to do once I'm a body in the boot! Presumably pliers on the pivot mechanism? Or removing the lock plate if accessible? But still curious about there being no audible sounds when the release button on the A pillar is used. At some stage have to remove the trim I guess. The car does have Total Closure/lazy locking separate fob as well as original key which has up until now worked well although rarely used. Don't like to use the car in case a puncture happens so have my 2.5 I can use. It's a lovely car and a shame not to regularly use it.

HarryM1BYT
12th January 2015, 13:54
Thanks for that, car is year 2000. Seats do have straps and I have previously removed the seats for investigation and cleaning. It's what to do once I'm a body in the boot! Presumably pliers on the pivot mechanism? Or removing the lock plate if accessible? But still curious about there being no audible sounds when the release button on the A pillar is used. At some stage have to remove the trim I guess. The car does have Total Closure/lazy locking separate fob as well as original key which has up until now worked well although rarely used. Don't like to use the car in case a puncture happens so have my 2.5 I can use. It's a lovely car and a shame not to regularly use it.

If there is no lock for a key in the boot, they fit an emergency boot release for the boot lid. Once in the boot with a torch, look for a small plastic panel, which has a plastic cord to pull.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1769339&postcount=2

stocktake
12th January 2015, 15:04
It is possible the plastic facia that holds the boot release button has been removed at some time and this almost always results in the wiring plug into the back of the switch to pull out ;)

D...

Have you checked the wires are still connected as per this post?

wraymond
12th January 2015, 15:04
Harry, thanks for that.
There is a lock in the boot lid in the usual place but the car was modded before my ownership to include lazy locking on a separate radio op. fob. It was T4'd and the ignition key was then presumably considered no longer needed for the boot as the lock barrel was no longer operative.

Anyway, after acquiring the car I discovered some damage to the lid and replaced it with another. Since then the lid continued to be opened via either the switch on the A pillar or the Lazylock fob. Note: even using the long press on the ignition key to open it did not work on the original lid. Now, 6 months later, the problem has arisen. Everything else works fine so must be confined to electrical I would have thought.

wraymond
12th January 2015, 15:06
Have you checked the wires are still connected as per this post?

Thanks Dave. Haven't checked that yet, will do. I know for certain the trim has at some time been removed, to accommodate wiring mods, so it's likely to be the culprit! Didn't know they were vulnerable.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow now because of hospital appt. so thanks to all for now, more to follow!

Avora
12th January 2015, 17:32
Once I couldn't get my boot open via the button, I realised after a confusing 30 minutes that I had used the car door lock button and hadn't fully unlocked the car doors again. Felt a little embarrassed and stupid.

Thought it was worth mentioning, although I'm more than likely the only person who could manage this. :duh:

wraymond
13th January 2015, 13:45
To return, removed trim on lower A pillar and found connector out - but could have been my clumsiness - reconnected but no joy. Battery fully charged. The only thing it can be is the switch so I guess it's Rimmers.

mihaivolei
2nd February 2015, 11:23
I have the same prob my boot don't open from inside, check all the cables spray all contacts no results. There is a fuse for this to check? Anyone please help

speeddevil68
18th June 2018, 05:59
Just wondered if anyone had follow up to this? I have finally returned to Rover 75 ownership and cant open my boot. Key barrel is broken - trying to source a second hand unit to replace. But the boot release button does nothing. Button works and wires connected. Also when I run TOAF I can open the boot from software, so am convinced the issue must lie in the button side somewhere. Anyway to check that the BCU is receiving open signal from the boot release button anyone?