PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment

Number 6
11th January 2015, 15:42
Can any one help,
All of a sudden the headlight adjuster near the headlight switch that alters the headlights when carrying a load doesnt seem to do any thing.It was working a few days ago but now Nothing any suggestions any one:shrug:

pab
11th January 2015, 15:55
First check the motors in both lamps are working. Switch on the lights and they should do a up down self test.

Never heard of the thumb wheel to become faulty before, if it has start by changing the front of the LSM.

Even try a battery disconnect, you never know.

klarzy
11th January 2015, 15:57
have you had your thumb T4'd lately ? ;)

Number 6
11th January 2015, 16:06
First check the motors in both lamps are working. Switch on the lights and they should do a up down self test.

Never heard of the thumb wheel to become faulty before, if it has start by changing the front of the LSM.

Even try a battery disconnect, you never know.

Right first off,Neither of the lights do a self test.So whats next? How do I check the motors on the head lamps:shrug:

pab
11th January 2015, 16:09
Another possibility, check the loom that runs over the chssis leg. Could have chaffed.

It's unusual that both motors have failed.

Number 6
11th January 2015, 16:19
I hate electrical faults:o

klarzy
11th January 2015, 16:27
I know this gets said a lot but always default to the good old battery reset as a first move on such niggles...

Number 6
11th January 2015, 16:34
Thanks Pab and Klarzy will try a reset tomorrow and let you know what happens:}

Number 6
12th January 2015, 13:42
Well I did a battery reset,The N/S one is now working but the O/S is not so I think its a bumper off job to check the wiring and/or the stepper motor for operation or the wiring on the chassis leg.

Is there a how to to check the stepper motor??

T-Cut
12th January 2015, 18:25
Is there a how to to check the stepper motor??

I've never seen any info on checking the headlamp motor. On that basis alone, I'd be very surprised if the motor itself is faulty. I know the mechanical linkage from it can give issues due to seizure, but it's very rare. I'd put my money on a simple electrical fault. But simple doesn't mean easy to find. The chassis chafe is favorite.

TC

VMax1000
12th January 2015, 19:47
Funnily enough I just replaced a headlamp adjuster motor on the wife's Alfa.
Don't know about Rover, but they do fail....:D

bl52krz
12th January 2015, 19:53
Can you get someone to switch the ignition on while you have your lug hole by the side that is not working, and listen for any noise atall from that area. If you do hear any noise from that area, it could mean that the gearing has worn out, not the motor.

klarzy
12th January 2015, 19:59
guess what klarzy has sitting on his work bench....??

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/2451054b435904c9b8.jpg

Number 6
12th January 2015, 20:01
guess what klarzy has sitting on his work bench....??

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/2451054b435904c9b8.jpg

Errrrrrr,A cup of tea!!!!!!!!!!;)

klarzy
12th January 2015, 20:02
Errrrrrr,A cup of tea!!!!!!!!!!;)

Nope, it's instant coffee, but you were close..... this is what you could have won....:D

Number 6
12th January 2015, 20:03
Nope, it's instant coffee, but you were close..... this is what you could have won....:D

What??????????:shrug:

klarzy
12th January 2015, 20:04
What??????????:shrug:

on my desk (apart from the coffee) is a headlight vertical stepper motor...;)

should you be in need...

rich17865
12th January 2015, 20:12
Unplug one headlight and try the ignition and lights on.

If nothing happens, plug it back in and unplug the other.

If one is faulty it will stop the other working too.

Number 6
12th January 2015, 20:16
Unplug one headlight and try the ignition and lights on.

If nothing happens, plug it back in and unplug the other.

If one is faulty it will stop the other working too.

Will have a look tomorrow;)

grivas
27th July 2015, 14:58
Hi there wonder if anybody can shed any clues as to what is going on.
I have replaced the off side H1 dipped beam bulb today and the beam was too high compared to the NS, both adjusted automatically on start up and both adjusted with the interior thumbwheel, however after I adjusted the OS manually using the vertical allen screw it has stopped moving up and down on start up, and will not move either up or down with the interior thumbwheel, the NS works perfectly, any ideas please.

klarzy
27th July 2015, 18:54
Hi there wonder if anybody can shed any clues as to what is going on.
I have replaced the off side H1 dipped beam bulb today and the beam was too high compared to the NS, both adjusted automatically on start up and both adjusted with the interior thumbwheel, however after I adjusted the OS manually using the vertical allen screw it has stopped moving up and down on start up, and will not move either up or down with the interior thumbwheel, the NS works perfectly, any ideas please.

you may have wound it off of the screw, or more likely popped one of the 2 fixed mount points...
it is also possible the stepper motor is just stuck.... give it a good thump on the front and try again..;)

grivas
27th July 2015, 19:22
you may have wound it off of the screw, or more likely popped one of the 2 fixed mount points...
it is also possible the stepper motor is just stuck.... give it a good thump on the front and try again..;)

Thank you, I will do so, however what if this does not work, I am trying to visualise the interior, if winding off, can it be wound back in?

klarzy
27th July 2015, 19:23
Thank you, I will do so, however what if this does not work, I am trying to visualise the interior, if winding off, can it be wound back in?

you would need to split them....

klarzy
27th July 2015, 19:24

Where do you live? if close enough I could take a look for you?

grivas
27th July 2015, 20:17
Where do you live? if close enough I could take a look for you?

Thank you, regrettably nowhere near you, perhaps a replacement from a scrap yard might be the best bet if can not fix it.

Number 6
27th July 2015, 20:23
Just remembered I started this post back in January..My headlights now do the self test OK but for the life of me I dont know what I, did if anything to resolve the problem:shrug:

Could have been a battery reset.

suzublu
27th July 2015, 20:30
Sorry to state the obvious, but did you fit the bulb the right way up initially:shrug::} As an addendum, H1 main beam, H7 dipped on halogen lights

grivas
27th July 2015, 20:39
Sorry to state the obvious, but did you fit the bulb the right way up initially:shrug::}

Yes thank you, don't be sorry, that is an obvious question and yes I did fit it correctly, I have done it many times before.

suzublu
27th July 2015, 20:44
Yes thank you, don't be sorry, that is an obvious question and yes I did fit it correctly, I have done it many times before.

Apologies for any inference:o but it has been done quite often:D Fitting upside down that is:D