PDA

View Full Version : Laquer over powder coat??

Clickernick
13th January 2015, 13:11
Just picked up some nicely restored wheels that have been powder coated. Should I go over this with a few coats of clear laquer to protect the powder coat and impart a nice gloss for easy cleaning and appearance??

Seem to recall someone on here mentioned this but can't quite locate the thread.

d_a_n1979
13th January 2015, 13:21
All the alloys I've had powder coated have been lacquered as well for that added protection so I'd highly recommend it...

Yella Fella
13th January 2015, 13:22
They should already be lacquered. Mine were when I got mine powder coated.

Clickernick
13th January 2015, 23:00
Maybe they are but as I've not had power coating done before I'm not sure.

The wheels were done by CPC in Brum.

I just purchased a set of metal center caps of the bay which have recently been powder coated also, not sure by whom, and while they are nice in Sparkle silver, when I removed the MG Center badges to give them an overhaul, I noticed that the area underneath where the badges are stuck on is original and very glossy by comparison.

This makes me think that they are just plain powder coated.

I guess a few extra coats of hard lacquer will do no harm in any case.

Can't wait to get the boots on them and get them on the car! :drool4:

Arctic
14th January 2015, 02:40
CPC in Brum will have already lacquered them, I gave my straights and 11 spoke an extra two coats over a two day period ;) for that extra protection, then I waxed them still great to this day after nearly four years, straights on for the winter, 11 spoke back on in spring :D

Doc Evil
14th January 2015, 05:01
That's extravagant Arctic most people only have winter tyres you have winter rims

They look good mate
Doc

Clickernick
14th January 2015, 05:35
Ha ha winter rims!!! I suppose I will end up that way too as soon as these go on the car I will have my current ones re done as well so I'll have two sets of rims!!

Out of interest what make of laquer did you use Arctic?

Arctic
14th January 2015, 08:33
Ha ha winter rims!!! I suppose I will end up that way too as soon as these go on the car I will have my current ones re done as well so I'll have two sets of rims!!

Out of interest what make of laquer did you use Arctic?

HI Nick
Normal Hycote clear lacquer make sure there is no dust on the wheels etc and give light coats over a 24 hours period if you are going to do two coats as I did. Once that had dried I gave the wheels a good coat of wax polish and buffed them up, and always clean them with warm water once per month off the car, that way you can clean the inside as well ;)

Clickernick
14th January 2015, 19:43
Thanks Arctic,, looking forward to getting this done!