PDA

View Full Version : cdti performance/mpg/ general running...

tbirdbooboo
13th January 2015, 16:45
After a little guidance realay as the only other diesel I've driven was my fiat stilo 1.9 jtd 115.
Apparently I have the mg ztt+ 131 model.
Last weekend I did the intercooler seals as there was a wooshing noise and low power especially under 2k and also discovered the cat was fully blocked so as a cheap and easy fix I basically cut the cat open, emptied it and welded it back together.
Car feels a lot better but still not quite there, admittedly with the hollow cat it sounds like a ******* tank lol but there's still lack of power.
I took the egr off today and cleaned it up so it's working better but no benefit on performance yet.
The only power seems to be around 2k upto about 2500 - before 2k she is dead in the water .
Also I can hear a distinct turbo whstle at higher rpm - is this right.
And as for the basic on board computer it only thinks I'm doing 31mpg. Getting about 50-60 miles to a tenner of diesel.

steveo
13th January 2015, 16:54
Hi
Re map to 160 required
People on here swear by it!
Regards
Steve

Mike Noc
13th January 2015, 16:58
Try running with the MAF unplugged. If that improves the performance it is time for a new one.

Don't be tempted by a cheapo replacement get a genuine Bosch one. ;)

Rick-sta
13th January 2015, 16:58
Have you tried disconnecting the maf sensor? Low power below 2k sounds like a possible failed maf.

tbirdbooboo
13th January 2015, 17:08
Ok guys will unplug it and see how I get on

Remap is on the cards just saving up for it lol

HarryM1BYT
13th January 2015, 17:16
Ok guys will unplug it and see how I get on

You still have an issue though, it shouldn't whistle, but they do make a slight noise on the over run, or at least some do.

MSS
13th January 2015, 20:23
Hi
Re map to 160 required
People on here swear by it!
Regards
Steve

:eek: no - basics of the engine sorting required.

The remap should come after the basics causing poor running of the engine are sorted.

A 75/ZT with the 131 engine is actually quite responsive when the engine is running properly and a pleasure to drive.

I would give it a full service replacing all the filters including the crankcase breather filter, try disconnecting the MAF and if no joy, take it to one of the experts. That may end up being the lowest cost path to fixing the problem.

If you feel like tinkering, diagnostic measurements of sensor voltages may be worth a try as per French Mike's posts.

klarzy
13th January 2015, 20:31
:eek: no - basics of the engine sorting required.

The remap should come after the basics causing poor running of the engine are sorted.

A 75/ZT with the 131 engine is actually quite responsive when the engine is running properly and a pleasure to drive.

I would give it a full service replacing all the filters including the crankcase breather filter, try disconnecting the MAF and if no joy, take it to one of the experts. That may end up being the lowest cost path to fixing the problem.

If you feel like tinkering, diagnostic measurements of sensor voltages may be worth a try as per French Mike's posts.

don't forget the remap session normally includes a full T4 diagnostic session too though... can tell you all of the niggles up front...

MSS
13th January 2015, 20:35
don't forget the remap session normally includes a full T4 diagnostic session too though... can tell you all of the niggles up front...

Agreed - but I still think the only way to do it properly is to sort the engine, drive for some time to confirm that it's behaving as it should and then think about performance enhancing changes.

Bloomers
13th January 2015, 21:08
split boost hose? mine was noisy and gutless with **** mpg when it was holed....

i know you've done your cooler seal, but have you check the pipe all over?

tbirdbooboo
14th January 2015, 10:08
Thanks guys, I'm going to check maf on my drive home from work tonight and then after that I'll check the hoses, service will he done on payday lol
Cool

tbirdbooboo
14th January 2015, 17:15
I unplugged the maf for the drive home... Yeah I'm not plugging it back in!
Mpg went from 31 to mid 40s
Performance seems a bit better too so new one will be ordered tonight.!

HarryM1BYT
14th January 2015, 19:44
I unplugged the maf for the drive home... Yeah I'm not plugging it back in!
Mpg went from 31 to mid 40s
Performance seems a bit better too so new one will be ordered tonight.!

From the only known source of the genuine item I hope?

tbirdbooboo
15th January 2015, 14:50
Well those bosch ones are pricey. I'm waiting on a cheapy one to tick me over for the moment

klarzy
15th January 2015, 14:52
Well those bosch ones are pricey. I'm waiting on a cheapy one to tick me over for the moment

generaly the cheaper ones are not sucessfull if you read posts on the subject, the expected feedback at a givern RPM for the airflow is not met.

save the money on the cheapy one and buy a Bosch (get the right code there are a couple listed as compatible but only one really is) and buy it just once..!

HarryM1BYT
15th January 2015, 16:09
generaly the cheaper ones are not sucessfull if you read posts on the subject, the expected feedback at a givern RPM for the airflow is not met.

save the money on the cheapy one and buy a Bosch (get the right code there are a couple listed as compatible but only one really is) and buy it just once..!

+1 - get it from the MAF-shop in Berlin, either the one in the housing to fit our 75, or the one for the BMW and remove it from the housing to transfer it to your housing (£75 delivered). Buying any other is at best a gamble and at worst, a waste of money.