PDA

View Full Version : no water please advise

piratestorm
14th January 2015, 21:07
can i get advice please? went to liskeard last sat and on way home temp went up had to stop start to get back home to looe found water bottle was empty so refilled it and checked oil dipstick and it looked black no creamyness to it so i presume it ok but went to use car again on monday and temp raised again found again no water taking it to a garage in morning so im hoping it not head casket thats gone but drove down road other day and i drove over a big stone in the road couldnt kiss it as bus was coming up hill thought i might have blown a tyre but tyre ok could i have hit a water pipe or something on the left side of car as it seems to have happened since then im disabled and not mechanically minded :-(

Greeners
14th January 2015, 21:10
As you've got a V6 almost certainly air in the system.....there is a bleed process to follow and all should be well.

HGF is rare on the V6 but not unheard of

piratestorm
14th January 2015, 21:13
As you've got a V6 almost certainly air in the system.....there is a bleed process to follow and all should be well.

HGF is rare on the V6 but not unheard of
what is a hgf? cause i can tell garage in morning about what ive found out on here yes i got the mg zt-t 2.5 v6 does the oil sound right also as when i checked it before it was clear?

Greeners
14th January 2015, 21:16
hgf - head gasket failure....

this should help (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1890477&postcount=11)

piratestorm
14th January 2015, 21:19
so where does all the water go sorry if im a pain i just need to know so garage cant tell me it something as being disabled

Greeners
14th January 2015, 21:24
V6 has a tendency for splitting the thermostat, which lives in the V of the engine. If they remove the engine cover and shine a torch in the V they'll probably see a puddle of water

piratestorm
14th January 2015, 21:29
V6 has a tendency for splitting the thermostat, which lives in the V of the engine. If they remove the engine cover and shine a torch in the V they'll probably see a puddle of water

ok thank you greeners im gratefull for the advice and help :-)

Greeners
14th January 2015, 21:31
If the garage aren't familiar with the ZT/75, come and ask on here before you let them start work....saves a huge bill

SD1too
14th January 2015, 23:20
... went to use car again on monday and temp raised again ... taking it to a garage in morning ...
Hello William,

DON'T take it to a garage. They will misdiagnose this as head gasket failure. There are several things it could be on a V6, but it won't be HGF unless the engine has been seriously abused. Here's what to do.

In the morning start the engine from cold and press the windscreen demist button on the air conditioning control panel. Then get out of the driver's seat and go to the front of the car and listen at the radiator grille. Is the radiator fan running? If it isn't, report back on this forum because you've found the problem.

By the way, when you say that the temp. was "raised again", did the temperature gauge hit maximum with the red light illuminated?

Simon

piratestorm
15th January 2015, 07:16
Hello William,

DON'T take it to a garage. They will misdiagnose this as head gasket failure. There are several things it could be on a V6, but it won't be HGF unless the engine has been seriously abused. Here's what to do.

In the morning start the engine from cold and press the windscreen demist button on the air conditioning control panel. Then get out of the driver's seat and go to the front of the car and listen at the radiator grille. Is the radiator fan running? If it isn't, report back on this forum because you've found the problem.

By the way, when you say that the temp. was "raised again", did the temperature gauge hit maximum with the red light illuminated?

Simon

hi there yes the red light on the gauge was lit up :-( n found no water in the tank we put water in after engine cooled the had to do a trip to the hospital in liskeard it was ok parked up at home not used on sunday then monday we went into looe n the temp raised again and no water? and after engine turned off fan was still going for a few minutes cooling engine

SD1too
15th January 2015, 08:14
Thanks William. Serious overheating like that on short journeys suggests that your thermostat may be stuck shut. This has happened before on the V6. But the first thing to do is to check the radiator fan as I described last night. Please do this as soon as you can and let me know the result.

Simon

piratestorm
15th January 2015, 09:18
Thanks William. Serious overheating like that on short journeys suggests that your thermostat may be stuck shut. This has happened before on the V6. But the first thing to do is to check the radiator fan as I described last night. Please do this as soon as you can and let me know the result.

Simon

there was no water in the bottle so i take it it was that caused it to turn red light on? well been out and put water in bottle now the car is just clicking she started up ok to move it but then she wont start all im getting is clicking i know im low on fuel but she wont start now when she did first time to move

chipsceola
15th January 2015, 09:39
there was no water in the bottle so i take it it was that caused it to turn red light on? well been out and put water in bottle now the car is just clicking she started up ok to move it but then she wont start all im getting is clicking i know im low on fuel but she wont start now when she did first time to move

Your battery needs charging, insufficient power to start engine, DO NOT CONTINUE TO ATTEMPT STARTING read this warning now (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106447)

piratestorm
15th January 2015, 13:13
Your battery needs charging, insufficient power to start engine, DO NOT CONTINUE TO ATTEMPT STARTING read this warning now (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106447)

hi chipsceola ive read the links the car still locks and unlocks on the key ok unless ive read it wrong? i dont know if there is anyone else near me that can check for me as i cant stand for long at the car or anywhere being disabled am would be gratefull for all help as ive had nothing but trouble with the car since ive had it

chipsceola
15th January 2015, 15:13
hi chipsceola ive read the links the car still locks and unlocks on the key ok unless ive read it wrong? i dont know if there is anyone else near me that can check for me as i cant stand for long at the car or anywhere being disabled am would be gratefull for all help as ive had nothing but trouble with the car since ive had it

The warning only refers to start attempts, there may well be enough power for everything else - these cars must have a good battery to start - the warning is issued by a forum electronics expert and should be observed, get it charged off the car by enlisting help of neighbour/friend/relative etc. - i appreciate your restrictions due to disability, as a senior citizen suffer myself with similar problems.

piratestorm
15th January 2015, 15:35
The warning only refers to start attempts, there may well be enough power for everything else - these cars must have a good battery to start - the warning is issued by a forum electronics expert and should be observed, get it charged off the car by enlisting help of neighbour/friend/relative etc. - i appreciate your restrictions due to disability, as a senior citizen suffer myself with similar problems.

dont bother with people here in village and dont have charger will have to wait see if i can get help

chipsceola
15th January 2015, 16:26
Perhaps ask for help here on forum, am sure in your situation a local member will oblige, you'll be surprised how helpful some folks can be. Good Luck