PDA

View Full Version : Wiper confusion

wizzo337
15th January 2015, 04:10
Hi.
I am a little confused about my wipers, driving home from work this morning with my wipers on low speed, they are the ones with the sensor in the screen but they have never worked. All was fine till I stopped at a junction and they seemed to switch to intermittent all by themselves, I set off and they went back to slow speed, again on their own, I thought it was a one off but at the next junction, they did it again, and then again when I stopped in the Tesco car park.
I went to Tesco to pick up some essentials and it hasn't done it since.
Any idea what was going on. The stalk was two clicks up, like I said the sensor thingy has never worked as when I put it on intermittent, it just wipes every few seconds and if I twist the control on the end it just wipes more often.
In case it helps, my self dipping mirror doesn't dip and my reversing sensors don't seem to be doing anything but my reversing lights do work, I replaced the switch a few months ago.

Hopefully someone can belay my befuddlement.

Thanks.

Wizzo337:shrug:

Steve42
15th January 2015, 04:58
don't worry. a lot of 75s do this .
both my 75s do it.
when you stop the wipers drop to the next setting.
so if on high speed and you stop wipers will drop to low speed. if on intermittent will stop till you start to move again.
don't ask me why its done like this as I don't know.
I may be wrong but I think this can be stopped but you need a t4 to change it.

thanks steve

Reebs
15th January 2015, 06:58
To get the rain sensing function to operate, you can't just leave the stalk in the first position. You have to flick it up or down into that position to activate the system every ignition cycle :confused:

As for wipers stopping when the car is stationary, yes that's a feature no matter what speed setting you have it set to. They will wipe very occasionally when the car is stationary, but then will resume the set speed (or auto sensing operation) once you are on the move again.

The rotational adjustment on the wiper stalk for a rain sensing vehicle will adjust the sensitivity of the sensor in the windscreen to make it more or less responsive to water droplets.

Of course the lack of operation of the parking aid and dipping mirror are separate issues, but may be related perhaps :shrug:
Hope that helps.

wizzo337
15th January 2015, 13:12
Thanks, here's me thinking there was something wrong with it. This car never stops amazing me. Love it.

Wizzo337

MangoMan
15th January 2015, 13:35
This might be of assistance:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h455/Rover-75-Club/Misc/2015-01-15143019_zps1d288eb1.jpg~original (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/Rover-75-Club/media/Misc/2015-01-15143019_zps1d288eb1.jpg.html)http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h455/Rover-75-Club/Misc/2015-01-15143027_zpsafe082a0.jpg~original (http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/Rover-75-Club/media/Misc/2015-01-15143027_zpsafe082a0.jpg.html)

wizzo337
15th January 2015, 21:40
That has put my fears to rest, I thought for one horrible evening electrical gremlins were setting in. I know that the rain sensor bit doesn't work as I tried it once, I did replace the fuse but the intermittent bit stopped working too, so I have left it as it is.

Thanks again.

Wizzo337.:bowdown:

marinabrian
16th January 2015, 07:48
What you are describing is "Intelligent" wipe, not exclusive to rain sensing wipers, but to any 75/ZT.

It can be turned off with T4, but I don't use the wipers when stationary anyway, quite a clever feature that prevents wipers scraping over a dry (ish) screen.

Brian :D

hogweed
16th January 2015, 08:55
I thought for one horrible evening electrical gremlins were setting in.

Oh, they will, they will... :D

Checked your plenum yet...?

HarryM1BYT
16th January 2015, 10:53
They will wipe very occasionally when the car is stationary, but then will resume the set speed (or auto sensing operation) once you are on the move again.

The rotational adjustment on the wiper stalk for a rain sensing vehicle will adjust the sensitivity of the sensor in the windscreen to make it more or less responsive to water droplets.

My own tests, suggest auto wipe is not affected by coming to a stop, it continues to auto wipe every time it 'sees' water on the screen, exactly as it does when you are moving.

Overall, I find how it works to be absolutely great, one less load on the driver. The one thing which annoys me about them, is that you have to switch them off and back to the auto position if the ignition is cycled, for the auto to continue. I also find it sometimes gives a single wipe, when starting up, when the screen is dry when it has been parked in the garage with it switched to auto.

hogweed
16th January 2015, 11:09
The one thing which annoys me about them, is that you have to switch them off and back to the auto position if the ignition is cycled, for the auto to continue.

Yes. That is REALLY annoying.

And the other thing we have to do is find is a type of blade which (a) doesn't smear; (b) doesn't screech so badly that you'd actually sooner crash because you can't see anything than use the wipers...

clf
16th January 2015, 11:10
That has put my fears to rest, I thought for one horrible evening electrical gremlins were setting in. I know that the rain sensor bit doesn't work as I tried it once, I did replace the fuse but the intermittent bit stopped working too, so I have left it as it is.

Thanks again.

Wizzo337.:bowdown:
simple test, flick some water at the sensor :D.

HarryM1BYT
16th January 2015, 11:14

Start the engine, move the switch to position 1, then throw a bucket of water at the top centre of the screen :D

hogweed
16th January 2015, 11:27

Can I just point out that it has never, EVER, stopped raining in Carrick in the first place... so how would you ever get the chance... :getmecoat:

clf
16th January 2015, 12:10
Can I just point out that it has never, EVER, stopped raining in Carrick in the first place... so how would you ever get the chance... :getmecoat:
agreed, though I am in Belfast, now, looking down the lough, it is sunny. it will be raining there when I get home lol