PDA

View Full Version : Converting a DMF to SMF...

Pistonbroke666
15th January 2015, 10:28
Hi guys

Has anyone done or know of an engineering shop that can convert a Dual mass Flywheel to single mass?

The little information I have found suggests stripping all the guts out and bolting back together rather than welding.
I've found one firm that can do this but they are based in Ireland and if I go ahead with this, I'd prefer to use someone a little closer to home.

There is a billet flywheel available for the MG ZT 1.8 Turbo but at £400 it is a bit pricey.

Cheers

James

chipsceola
15th January 2015, 10:58
Lots of threads on this subject, perhaps reading this first (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=102154) will help you decide?
DMF in 75/ZT generally reliable, Andy Willi had replaced 100's with less than a handful of DMF's needed.

Pistonbroke666
15th January 2015, 11:07
Lots of threads on this subject, perhaps reading this first (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=102154) will help you decide?
DMF in 75/ZT generally reliable, Andy Willi had replaced 100's with less than a handful of DMF's needed.

Thanks for the link bud.

Main reason I want to change is that I'll be running a forged 300bhp build and I don't think the DMF is going to be up to the job (abuse) - going solid future proofs me a little if I want to squeeze more out the car.

For comfort and drive-ability the DMF does the job but for the hike in power and aggressive standing starts I'm after I just don't think it'll be man enough.

DMGRS
15th January 2015, 13:04
I'd say on a (relatively) smooth engine such as the 1.8, you won't really notice the lack of a DMF.
On a diesel running an SMF is awful, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as bad.

Pistonbroke666
15th January 2015, 16:06
I'd say on a (relatively) smooth engine such as the 1.8, you won't really notice the lack of a DMF.
On a diesel running an SMF is awful, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as bad.

That's what I was thinking, no other K series seems to need it so it shouldn't be much of a loss.

HenryD
15th January 2015, 18:51
Could you not run the flywheel from a 1600 K instead,or perhaps a freelancers if they don't have the Dmf.

HenryD
15th January 2015, 18:51
Could you not run the flywheel from a 1600 K instead,or perhaps a freelancers if they don't have the Dmf.

Freelander :D

Pistonbroke666
16th January 2015, 08:02
Could you not run the flywheel from a 1600 K instead,or perhaps a freelanders if they don't have the Dmf.

Not a bad shout but the ZT's use a different gearbox to the rest of the K series range - a Getrag as opposed to the PG, including the Freelander.
The ZT has a unique flywheel :(

okenora
16th January 2015, 08:51
just buy an SMF....loads of them available. Can't see converting the DMF as being the best option

Pistonbroke666
16th January 2015, 09:13
just buy an SMF....loads of them available. Can't see converting the DMF as being the best option

Could you link me to an example please?

The 75/ZT DMF flywheel is completely unique for the K series.
The only SMF I've found is for the BMW diesel engine or this one (http://gb-ent.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6519&search=zt) which comes out at £414 - it says it's for 228mm T16 turbo clutch but he can make it for the standard ZT K series clutch.