PDA

View Full Version : Hole near Jacking Point

Raynor
15th January 2015, 13:17
Hey All,

Just about ready for the yearly MOT inspection but i have a hole in the rear just after the jacking point. Doesnt anyone know of any good/easy methods for patching these up?

stocktake
15th January 2015, 13:34
Find a good welder :)

Raynor
15th January 2015, 18:15
That's dad out then lol

Kiltman
15th January 2015, 18:54
I had a hole in exactly the same position and had to have a plate welded over it.

Paulifa1
15th January 2015, 18:58
Out of interest, do you guys with the sill holes own Cowley or Longbridge cars? (Cowley have black sills) :shrug:

Mike Noc
15th January 2015, 19:00
Yep me too, on the rear near side. Have made a plate up but haven't got round to welding it in yet.

That bit didn't look load bearing so I'll wait till the warmer weather.

stocktake
15th January 2015, 19:29
Out of interest, do you guys with the sill holes own Cowley or Longbridge cars? (Cowley have black sills) :shrug:

Seen both, mine is cowley, one BigRuss stripped to use the sill setion was well on it's way :)

ryszard
15th January 2015, 23:41
Mine a Longbridge one,same place behind rear jacking point but on offside.Had the MOT garage weld it for me for the MOT.Was worried when I saw it and how much it would cost but they kept it for a day and it cost about £170 with VAT.Was pleased with that as it was something I could not do myself.Just need a bit of Moonstone Green paint to cover it,but it is not visible from above.Regards Ry...

Paulifa1
16th January 2015, 12:25
Don't forget to flood the inside with cavity wax too...if the garage didn't do it ;)

Raynor
27th January 2015, 17:45
What would you recommend to put on the Sills after welding to protect it?

David Lawrence
27th January 2015, 18:36
Yep me too, on the rear near side. Have made a plate up but haven't got round to welding it in yet.

That bit didn't look load bearing so I'll wait till the warmer weather.

I noticed paint bubbling on mine there this weekend as well. Didnt poke at it, but pretty sure i know what will happen when i do. Need to start investigating decent wld shops around here.

Mike Noc
27th January 2015, 19:30
What would you recommend to put on the Sills after welding to protect it?

As all the repairs so far were under the sill I used red oxide primer followed by a couple of coats of underseal Ray. Then checked that the ventilation holes weren't blocked and wax-oiled the insides.

I noticed paint bubbling on mine there this weekend as well. Didnt poke at it, but pretty sure i know what will happen when i do. Need to start investigating decent weld shops around here.

Yes David I've seen a few bubbles too so come the summer think I'll strip the sills back where they look dodgy and sort them.

Anon3
27th January 2015, 19:38
Oh man, welding being required is really bad news, imo :(

I've welded many a car and as much as I've tried otherwise over the years, the only way to do a proper repair is to cut back to good metal and totally get rid of any rust.
Plating over rust invariably causes things to get worse.

And again imo underseal is probably the worst thing you can apply, because if it hasn't stuck 100%, it just holds moisture and will accelerate rust.

Mike Noc
27th January 2015, 19:54
I'm happy that the underseal is correctly applied, and will be cutting any rust out whilst stripping the sills back when I get round to doing it.

I should have cut the sills out of the scrapper last year before getting rid of it. They appeared to be in good nick, and could have provided some donor metal.

Used to do loads of welding back in the day on rusty motors - thought those days were over. :getmecoat:

championdaddy
27th January 2015, 20:00
To me personally..........when a car starts to need welding......thats a sign for me to move on.
Even a good weld......strip/cut out the rust and seal and treat......will only last a wee while.

I just hope mine does not need welding for ages as i want to keep it !!!

Anon3
27th January 2015, 20:00
Used to do loads of welding back in the day on rusty motors - thought those days were over. Same here, with galvanealed steel and all that.

Good luck

Anon3
27th January 2015, 20:07
To me personally..........when a car starts to need welding......thats a sign for me to move on.
Even a good weld......strip/cut out the rust and seal and treat......will only last a wee while.

I just hope mine does not need welding for ages as i want to keep it !!!

Yep, I have to say that'd be my thoughts now, in all honesty.
It's a downhill slope, imo.

I did actually do a good repair on an MGB roadster many moons back though.
It involved half the floor being replaced with 6mm plate at the owner's request :eek:
I kid you not.

prits_uk2002
26th April 2015, 23:30
What would be the cause of this any ideas

trikey
26th April 2015, 23:52
What would be the cause of this any ideas

In most occasions its water that sits in the sill (Sometimes where the jacking rubber has come off and let muck inside the cavity) Or sill damage where someone has jacked the car up in a different place to the jacking point.

If your car is free from any signs of rust, powerwash the underside of the sills, dry thoroughly then treat with something suitable, dont try and waxoyl inside the sill via the jacking point holes, the sills have baffles inside them that prevent the treatment spreaing the full length of the car.

Mike Noc
27th April 2015, 12:26
The front mudflaps don't help either Andy. They seem to harbour dirt and water. :getmecoat:

Had a bit of rust staining behind mine so stripped them out and found this :eek:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/MikeNoc/301_zpsvtrpbncn.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/MikeNoc/media/301_zpsvtrpbncn.jpg.html)

After a bit of general cleaning up all was well and a spare wing duly fitted. :D

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/MikeNoc/307_zps7auqrte7.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/MikeNoc/media/307_zps7auqrte7.jpg.html)

Ignore the condition of the tyre - it was one from the scrapper whilst I cleaned mine up. ;)

beinet1
27th April 2015, 12:34
I have to admit that I don`t like to see these threads are coming. Reminds me of what is regular reading on the farina-forum...

murphyv310
27th April 2015, 17:31
This was the mess Fraser found on the ZT
Thing is the body looks good, there's no rust where the mudflaps were but an upper rear arm is shot too, this is a Longbridge car that lived mostly away from sea air!