PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle and juddering engine under load when cold.

Ste.Sales
15th January 2015, 21:36
Hi, im new to forum and would like some help with diagnosing the problem.
I have a 2004 rover 75 1.8 turbo and have a very annoying issue when the engine is cold. The engine fires up first turn of the key and idles at ~1000rpm for approximatley 30 secs, then the idle drops to 750rpm ish and fluctuates up and down with vibrations felt through the car. The car drives fine in first and second gear, but when changing to 3rd or higher at low speed (revs under 2000rpm) the engine generates a light pulse. If I try to accelerate, i get a very unnerving rapid vibration/juddering from the engine, almost like its misfiring, and it will not pick up speed. The higher the gear, the worse it is...higher engine load I suppose. As soon as the engine passes ~2000 rpm the juddering disappears and it picks up well. As I said before this only happens when the engine is cold, as soon as the temp guage starts to move, everything starts to smooth out again. When fully warm, no problem whatsoever, no loss of power (pulls like a train) no juddering and a rock steady idle at 750rpm.I have already tried diagnosing the problem and here is what i have done:

Both ignition coils replaced
both ht leads replaced
spark plugs replaced ( gapped at .7mm first, now back to 1mm- no difference)
Full oil change and filter change
Air filter changed
Inlet manifold gasket replaced
Exhaust manifold to turbo gasket replaced
Coolant temperature sensor replaced
Changed turbo boost controller vacuum hoses
Checked for vacuum/boost leaks
Checked both oil and coolant, nothing mixing, no overheating or headgasket issues
No smoke from the exhaust
Checked plenum - bone dry
Compression tested engine cold, got 165,170,170,170 (cylinder1,2,3,4)
Compression tested engine warm, got 180,184,180,180
No check engine light
No fault codes recorded

I have had the car at a friend of a friends garage and they couldnt tell me what is wrong. Am I missing something? Fuel system maybe? Since it is temperature related, i was sure the cts was shot - seems not. Any help or suggestions will be greatley appreciated. Thanks

Reebs
16th January 2015, 10:49
Welcome aboard Steve, thanks for joining. Sadly I can't advise on this issue, but I'm sure there will be some very knowledgeable 1.8 owners along soon with some suggestions. Your in the best place to get advice :welcome:

Greeners
16th January 2015, 11:29
welcome along, check out the lower tie bar, a weak point on all FWD models

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109449fc5f991dc72.jpg

Royster
16th January 2015, 19:24
What David said

Just done mine. Purchased the part from Mat at DMGRS.

Royster

Ste.Sales
17th January 2015, 14:57
Hi guys, thanks for your quick support. Today i took off the lower engine mount/tie bar to check, looks fairly new...no cracks in the rubber and no deformation whatsoever.
I tried to rock the engine while tie bar was in situe and engine barely moves. I read on another post on this forum that the uppper engine mount may cause vibrations/juddering? Do you think that low fuel pressure fan cause my problems? Or a faulty regulator?
thanks again for any help.

Ste.Sales
17th January 2015, 19:28
Hi, just posting the solution to my problem. It was the coolant temperature sensor... the original one was replaced, as I suspected this to be the problem. Only the replacement one was also faulty...thats what i get for buying from 'the bay'. Only noticed it when my temp guage moved to a quarter and remined there on a long journey. So I took one from my Rover 200 track car and tried that... hey presto! No juddering, no vibrations and temp guage working correctly.
again I thank you for your help, and i hope this will help someone else in the future.