PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension

DChrisD
16th January 2015, 16:41
Right - all you suspension gurus:}

I have an MGZT Diesel 2003 with a problem rear end. I have replaced the entire rear suspension set-up, this was due to failure of the upper arms, and then failure to remove the bolts etc etc, so much easier to replace the entire lot from a donor '75 2005 model.

All good - BUT - its wearing rear tyres like they are fuses! I have had the tracking done on a "Hunter" machine and the <Right Rear> camber is slightly out, and the <Left Toe> is very definitely out.....Now the bracket that adjusts is at absolute maximum and it will not come in any further. I have actually replaced the rear bracket on the right, just in case it was causing this issue, but it hasn't helped. MOT completed yesterday, and we attempted to move all joints etc, checking for any wear that could cause this tyre issue, but nothing at all....For info, its wearing a set of rears in about 5,00 miles down to the wires, and I DO have the "Hunter" printouts, "Before & After" toes and cambers......

Can anyone assist??? My though is to add longer slots to that adjusting bracket but not sure if anyone's seen this before I go hacking parts about! Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Chris

rich17865
16th January 2015, 16:44
How did you replace the subframe? On the floor at home? Or with the car on a two post lift?

Was the donor car accident damaged?

DChrisD
16th January 2015, 17:28
Car done at home on floor, but all bolts etc done whilst weight on wheels.... Donor car, no damage or wear on tyres......

Chris

rich17865
16th January 2015, 17:42
I suspect the subframes were factory fitted in the air. As I also suspect everything else would have been at the factory.

I have read many an argument for tightening while under load, but disagree personally.

If you have the opportunity, get it on a two post lift, loosen all the bolts, make sure it is all sitting right and tighten them back up.

Any suspension work I have ever had done was on a two post lift and all weight off the wheels. Or with the car on axle stands on the drive. I have never had any such problems.