PDA

View Full Version : What is happening here???

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 10:11
Morning all just noticed that my car is taking longer and longer everyday to warm up so could this be remedied by the inline thermostat.

Next problem the car when it does get up to temp decides to cut out occasionally when at low speed. It develops a big misfire first and struggles to move. This is normally sorted after turning engine off and waiting a minute and alls "fine".

Another is then engine light flashed at me when driving and seemed to cut the power this lasted 10 seconds while the light was flashing.

Sorry for all the questions easier to do 1 post than 3 any help is appreciated

Danny

stocktake
17th January 2015, 10:20
I would suggest you Contact a competent T4 operator. They will be able to establish the fault codes your car is showing and get to the bottom of the problem rather than spare part surgery that can be frustrating and costly.
The T4 operators on here are second to none, and you will not find better value for money.
Your nearest would be BigRuss or Marinabrian. both guru's with the T4

send one of them a PM to find out a cost :)

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 10:28
Would a T4 session find out what's going on I thought it might be mechanical fault not electrical.

Greeners
17th January 2015, 12:16
the in line thermostat mod is for diesels not petrol cars.

A T4 session is a good place to start, and will hopefully pinpoint the problem(s)

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 13:18
Just going to PM now and see what they can do. Would head gasket cause the car to misfire as that looks a bit scummy in the filler cap. But that could be that the car hasn't really heated up in the past few weeks with it being so cold. I do 6 miles to the shops mix of 30-50mph roads and only comes up about 1/3rd of way up.

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 13:23
Car needs a service as well would that cause it I am doing that in 2 weeks as funds over this month are non existent with xmas and a new baby.

Greeners
17th January 2015, 13:24
Just going to PM now and see what they can do. Would head gasket cause the car to misfire as that looks a bit scummy in the filler cap. But that could be that the car hasn't really heated up in the past few weeks with it being so cold. I do 6 miles to the shops mix of 30-50mph roads and only comes up about 1/3rd of way up.

take it out for a good long run and get it up to temperature

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 13:27
Well that's where it started drove 35 miles at new year down A19 and that's when the judder and EML started flashing at me.

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 14:12
Well just been thinking I'll look under bonnet at what's going so looked in oil filler cap and the worst thing ever. Would it be worse than this if it was HG failure as I've said it's not really getting upto temp so this could be condensation.

Then looked at plugs thought one could be working loose and seen oil on the LH sleeve none on the others so could the seal have gone and leaking oil that could be why it's a bit juddery at times.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44047&d=1421507515

One of the plug.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44048&d=1421507560

T-Cut
17th January 2015, 17:41
Not good I'd say.
When did you last check the coolant level?
Temperature gauge is bad at best, but won't mean anything unless there's coolant around it.

Hope I'm wrong.

TC

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 17:44
Not good I'd say.
When did you last check the coolant level?
Temperature gauge is bad at best, but won't mean anything unless there's coolant around it.

Hope I'm wrong.

TC

Coolant is fine not dropped at all that I can tell so that's why I'm hoping just a bad case of condensation. Nothing floating in it and still looks a bit orange as well.

DMGRS
17th January 2015, 18:06
Oil in the spark plug bores is the cam cover gasket leaking - a nice, cheap fix:
K Series Cam Cover Gasket (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/head-gasket-kits/products/rover-k-series-cam-cover-gasket-lvp100630-oem)
It's also very easy to change. :)

With regards to the misfire when hot, spark plugs or HT leads would be my first port of call - but a T4 session would likely show up any faults with these. Worth doing that first to avoid spending when you don't need to. :)
I have all of the ignition components (coils, plugs and leads) here: Ignition Components (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/ignition-components)

Good luck, my first port of call would be T4.

Mg guy
17th January 2015, 19:52
Well I will be ordering everything anyway as it needs a service so will see about the gasket as well while I'm looking.