PDA

View Full Version : Walnut window switch veneer laquer peeling

David Lawrence
17th January 2015, 10:24
What is the best thing to do with this?

Seems to be the laquer peeling off the wood and generally curling up at the edges? Do i sand it down and revarnish then glue it back down, or is it possible to purchase just the one peice and replace. It was about £70 for a full set and this is the only part that has done this, so dont really want to buy a full set.

dadragon
17th January 2015, 11:31
David Lawrence, Looks like it's got water under the varnish. You could sand it down or use a small amount of nitromors which strips paint and varnish then recoat it. The other option is to search for a one of replacement but they are extremely rare. last option is to get in contact with the dude on here who based in Bulgaria and see if he'll sell you a stick on replacement. Just a side note, what's a Cyberman doing in your car, I can see his reflection in the chrome trim around the door release? Strange!!! :D
Regards DaDragon

jonathan63
17th January 2015, 11:34
Dont think there will be any real walnut under that lacquer. I wound not put Nitramose anywhere near it-unless you want your car melting.
Send a message to Simon for a replacement.

dadragon
17th January 2015, 11:41
johnathon63, Doh!! remove the switch first!!!. Did you spot the Cyberman?
:D Regards DaDragon

jonathan63
17th January 2015, 12:04
johnathon63, Doh!! remove the switch first!!!. Did you spot the Cyberman?
:D Regards DaDragon

My point here is that you cannot treat plastic as you would wood.
Sand paper and paint strippers will only make a mess-on or off the car.
Doh

dadragon
17th January 2015, 12:20
johnathon63, "My point here is that you cannot treat plastic as you would wood." yes I know that, I'm a joiner by trade so I think I know what plastic and wood are like, the point is he is not stripping plastic he has wood veneer!!!
You remove the switch and carefully work with the paint stripper, that's not set in stone, he could sand it if he wants. God you have no sense of humour as you didn't say if you spotted the Cyberman!!. I'm off for a bite to eat and a drink.:getmecoat:
Regards DaDragon

David Lawrence
17th January 2015, 12:46
johnathon63, "My point here is that you cannot treat plastic as you would wood." yes I know that, I'm a joiner by trade so I think I know what plastic and wood are like, the point is he is not stripping plastic he has wood veneer!!!
You remove the switch and carefully work with the paint stripper, that's not set in stone, he could sand it if he wants. God you have no sense of humour as you didn't say if you spotted the Cyberman!!. I'm off for a bite to eat and a drink.:getmecoat:
Regards DaDragon

More of a worry is i didnt spot him and he was stood right behind me. Anyway, thanks for the replies. The veneers came from simon in bulgaria so i'll pm him to see what he suggests.

The only water it would have had near it would be what rain splashes in while people get in and out, but would have expected that to be more of a problem on the drivers side, but all the other parts of the kit are fine.

suzublu
17th January 2015, 12:54
David, i have Simon's kit fitted also, with one piece delaminating like yours. I would suggest contacting Simon with a view to replacing just the faulty piece, he does sell individual bits as far as I'm aware.:shrug::}

dadragon
17th January 2015, 13:05
David Lawrence, sorry , I stand corrected buddie, from your original post it read as though they are genuine wood veneer, I didn't realize that it was the plastic stickons , so no way use anything abrasive on them and as mentioned by suzublu contact Simon as I wouldn't have thought this should happen. I have ordered the full kit from him as well, it's in transit at the minute, I hope mine don't start doing this when they arrive and are fitted, I would be less than impressed!!. Well done for evading the Cyberman!! :D
Regards DaDragon

David Lawrence
17th January 2015, 13:17
David Lawrence, sorry , I stand corrected buddie, from your original post it read as though they are genuine wood veneer, I didn't realize that it was the plastic stickons , so no way use anything abrasive on them and as mentioned by suzublu contact Simon as I wouldn't have thought this should happen. I have ordered the full kit from him as well, it's in transit at the minute, I hope mine don't start doing this when they arrive and are fitted, I would be less than impressed!!. Well done for evading the Cyberman!! :D
Regards DaDragon

I dont think you need to worry, ive not heard many complaints, and i didnt even notice it until yesterday when the sun shone on it in a certain way.